Wondering if everyone feels the same

I am a mother of a 10 years old boy with Type 1 Diabetes. He was diagnosed 3 years ago and I am still been judged by others….it is very disappointing and frustrating when I have to explain to everyone that finds out he is diabetic, why that happened. The first question usually: “is he overweight?” “Does he eat junk food?”…and that is not the case…he always been a very slim kid, always in sports and he doesn’t eat fast food….but everyone relates diabetes to over-eating and lack of exercise…sometimes people refers to him as the “Diabetic Boy” and I hate it…I have also experienced that the minute people finds out my son is diabetic, they try to stay-away from him including some family members…somehow, people are scare and don’t want to deal with it….and that is painful…I do not want my son to feel any discrimination because of his disease, but I guess that is part of the deal….

Has anyone experience the same?

Don’t worry about it mom. You can’t blame people for being ignorant, you can only do your best to help them understand, even if it means being judged or misunderstood. You have to remember, some people just hear “diabetes” and they don’t even know there are different types. Most diabetics out there are Type 2, overweight, and much older…so when they hear that your skinny 10 year old son has diabetes, they are shocked because they are ignorant. Whatever…don’t let it get to you…

You said it best…“that is part of the deal.” Crappy deal, I know. It’s just something that you and your son will have to deal with for the rest of your lives, so it’s no use worrying about what other people think, just do whats best for your son. Everything will work out in the end.

hi Yenevin, and welcome!!
My son will be 10 soon, and also has 3 years under his belt. I have found that people have so many misconceptions about exactly what Type 1 entails, and this is largely because various media outlets put tons of information out there ,and do not take the time to specify the differences between T1, T2, gestational, etc. , so the lines are certainly fuzzy.
I agree with you it does get frustrating. We still have family members that are somewhat clueless, but my advice is to treat every one of these instances as a positive teaching moment. The best thing we can do for our kids is to let them know that no matter what, they should never ever be ashamed by their diabetes, whether they be type 1, or type2 and to encourage them to play a big part in their own health and well being.

Yenevin, I have heard comments like that, too. I rarely ever tell anyone I have T1, not because I’m ashamed or anything, but just because I don’t like hearing all the rude comments. A lot of T1’s and parents of T1’s think it’s best to inform and educate people on T1, but I have never had success with that. People usually think I’m full of crap when I tell them I count carbs and dose for what I eat with my pump, which provides a lot of flexibility, or that an autoimmune attack (not lifestyle) causes T1. Their eyes glaze over or they give me suspicious looks like they don’t believe me. So I just quit telling anyone about my T1, or I only tell them after they’ve known me a while. When I do have to tell someone, I tell them that I am usually very private about my T1 because people make ridiculous comments, and then I give some examples, sort of to nip it in the bud before the comments start. If you do it with a smile then they’re none the wiser, and they won’t say those things. I’ve found that that approach works for me.

Hi Yenevin,
Welcome. It is nice to have you here. I usually don’t mention to people that i am diabetic. When someone sees me checking my blood sugar, if they ask me what type I am, I usually ask does it matter? There aren’t alot of the general public who would understand that i am neither a type 1 or a type 2, but a type 1.5. There is a lot of diabetes in our family, both types. But I am the first type 1.5 When my two older kids became type 1’s our whole family switched our diets. We got rid of the regular sugar in the house and made sure we all ate much more heathy diets. There are several different diets in our house and i cook for all of them, but they are all very healthy diets. The different diets are due to different health problems. So don’t get discouraged. There are just a lot of people in this world who don’t understand and may never do so. But, here, everyone understands. And anything you ask or say is acceptable. Please keep coming back. You will find a lot of support here.