First Day on tudiabetes.com

Okay, well, here’s my story.

A few months ago, I started to drink a lot of water. I thought it was just because I loved water, but my mom was like “I don’t think you could stop even if you wanted to.” So, she got really worried when I was losing a few lbs a week (while eating icecream regularly). I wasn’t worried, because I had been losing weight slowly for a while (I lost 30 lbs in about 4 months), and I was just happy to see that I could still lose weight while eating my fav. food: ice cream! Well, my mom was suspicious, so in mid August she asked a friend who has type 1 to check my blood sugar. It was 511. So, immediatly, I was taken to the ER. I spent 2 days in the ICU. Worst days of my life. The hardest part was calling my best friend. I called her and just started sobbing. First time I really cried over diabetes. When I was in the hospital, I don’t think I understood what this would mean to have diabetes. This just doesn’t seem like my life, you know? Like, one day I’ll wake up and I’ll be normal again.

I’m 17 years old, and a senior in highschool. Right now, I’m taking treating my diabetes with insulin pens (lantus and humalog), but I hope to get a pump very soon. Last weekend, I tested an Omnipod, and I basically made up my mind that I wanted the omnipod. So, hopefully, in a few weeks, I’ll have the pump.

So, anyways, since I’ve been diagnosed, I’ve been searching for things that can make diabetes easier for me. So, I’m going to start posting my discoveries so that you too can enjoy these tricks!

I’m so glad that you found us Emily! Diabetes is never easy, but having a community who understands makes dealing with diabetes a lot easier! Keep us posted on how you are doing!!!

Hello! Welcome to Tudiabetes! I agree with Kristin, it’s a lot easier living with diabetes when you have a great community who understands. I can’t wait to see what you discover and if you need anything let us know.

It’s amazing. I’ve only known about the site for about 6-7 hours… and it’s already changed the way I think about diabetes! Thanks!

That’s a good thing! I wish I it was around in 2004 when I was dx

Hi Emily … I was also diagnosed when I was 17 and it was an abrupt change in life for me. Just the age when my buddies would get together for a game of baseball, hockey or whatever and then have a beer. I couldn’t. I eventually made myself think that I no longer fit in with anybody and gradually withdrew from the social world. Sure I still went to school and did most normal things but my social life died.

You have only been diagnosed for a couple of months and are still learning … don’t let it change your life. When I was diadnosed (40 years ago) diabetes ruled the person. The world has changed and now the person rules the disease.

I have only joined this site a few weeks ago and I am glad I accidentally found it. Welcome.

Peace and light

Hey Emily

Late post from me, oh well. I was diagnosed when I was 15 and it was a big change for me too. Some ‘friends’ of mine in high school also teased me some about it. It was meant to be good-natured, but it still hurt at times. I think that comes from ignorance.

Here I am 36 years later and still going strong. Diabetes has its ups and downs, I think you’ll do fine. This community has helped me a great deal, so I’m glad you found us.