For Women w T1 - Question Regarding Infections

I'm going to check on the Diflucan idea if this keeps recurring. But she probably needs to change her diabetes management too, I'm thinking.

I’ve had diabetes since 1988; I can tell you that just recently I had a big issue with a recurrent yeast infection - it just kept coming back. I ended up taking 3 days of Diflucan and each night using a Monostat pack, as well. The thing that finally got it cleared up, though, was taking a Probiotic; I found it at Walmart and took it 3 times a day for the three days and then once a day after that (still taking it). It’s called “AZO Yeast Plus” and they are pills - I got 60 for about $7.

I hope this helps. Sometimes it’s difficult to get rid of, but I have had T1 since I was 8 (1988) and am still complication free, so try not to read too much into it. Sometimes infections are just difficult to clear up.

I had such a bad time with them that I searched for anything that I could do. I finally decided I may have candida. It was to the point that if my blood sugar was high even for a day I would have symptoms. The probiotic acidophilus taken daily helped considerably. I still take one tiny little bead nightly. I finally settled on the pearls I get a generic one at my grocery store because many of the others I tried didn't do the trick. Probiotics have live bacteria and they can't survive in some pill forms.

Would be thinking this is due to running high a lot. Spilling sugar in the urine on a regular basis is asking for chronic/recurrent yeast infections.
Finger sticks only 4 times a day, and dosing for meals after they are eaten are not the best when it comes to control. Does she, do you both have a copy of Think Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner? It can be a big help for her in understanding how things work, and making choices that will help.
Also have you both though about a dexcom CGM. It can help her see what here patterns are, see when she is headed to trouble early enough to get ahead of the eight ball rather than getting run over.
I used MDI and a cgm to find what worked meal wise, insulin timing wise, sick day, hormone day etc. She can too. Talk to your Endo about it, and if it will make you feel better to be able so see her numbers remotely check out CGM in the cloud and /or the Dexcom Share.

Well, it's not super high but she could still be spilling sugar as hobbit said. I think better control may help her. I also take a probiotic daily, that was one of the few things that did help me before I knew it was diabetes causing most of my symptoms.

Hi,

T1 for 50 years and I am 55...Yeast infections are no longer an issue but at one point in my life, they were a constant. I agree with what others have said. Avoid tight pants, wear cotton panties, no bubble baths, showers in general are better than baths. In my case, I do believe it was related to high blood sugar but there were no glucometers at the time I am talking about. I just know I was not taking care of my diabetes at that time in my life. Yeast infections are very uncomfortable...Hope things improve for her soon...

I was dxed in 1975 at 14 years old and spent my entire college years with a continual yeast infection. Back then there were no OTC yeast infection treatments and I had to go to college health service for some Monistat. I can't stress how important good blood sugar control is to avoid yeast infections. Yeast likes heat and sugar. That is the environment in which they proliferate. The only way to stop them is to control the sugar. Some people have reported pretty good results with something called diflucan which I believe you can get with a prescription.

they don't give antibiotics for yeast infections, they give antifungal medications. antibiotics are bad for yeast. in fact, they're known to often cause yeast infections. over the counter has always worked for me. i haven' had any since after diagnosis and on insulin. high blood sugars, of course, are the cause, when they're under control the yeast while clear up.

I been a T1 for 41 years and lately I've been having issues with yeast. My symptoms are red ears, a tender portion on my scalp and acne. My BS are in control but yes, yeast thrives on high BS. Initially my doc prescribed diflucan and it worked but the infection would come back after every few months, for no obvious reasons. Recently my doc gave me NyStatin. It's a 2 month treatment program and I started getting relief in the first week itself. You can develop side effects from Diflucan as it is a strong medication. Nystatin is not that strong and has no side effects. I feel great. Ask your doc about Nystatin.

I told her we might have to try a CGM if this doesn't clear up, because I believe she could have better control & it would help the situation. We have Think Like a Pancreas. She still likes to act like she doesn't have diabetes, as much as she can. Dealing with that too. This community is the best for answering questions & giving me ideas! Thank you!