Freestyle Libre available?

I’m looking forward to future Dexcom devices being teased that don’t ever need to be calibrated.

Do any of you remember the days when we had to enter the code from our strips bottles? The reason for the codes was that mfgrs couldn’t make different batches of strips conform to a single calibration value, so they would test each batch and label them with a code that the meters used to “offset” the readings, for necessary accuracy.

1 Like

Today’s message from Abbott says they sent my prescription request to my Kroger pharmacy. My pharmacy still has no clue what this is, what it does or how much it will cost.
Very odd marketing campaign if you ask me…

In case it’s helpful, I wrote about wearing the FreeStyle Libre for the New York Times–I was getting the sensors mailed to me from a friend in Italy (no prescription needed there). Here’s the story: http://nyti.ms/2gOdJsS

2 Likes

Very informative article and you’re a great writer too! Thanks for sharing with us.

1 Like

Congrats on getting your story in the NYT. The Libre looks like a great product that will expand the overall market for glucose monitors, both flash and continuous.

1 Like

Great article! You can buy the sensors from Canada now as well without a prescription, and they are the same as the European version (14 day longevity, 1-hour warm-up).

1 Like

Do we know yet whether the differences (10 day-12 hour startup vs. 14 day-1 hour startup) is a feature of the sensor, or of the receiver/reader?

HAHA. now all I need is a Canadian friend :slight_smile:

If you need no Rx, perhaps people in the US can buy Libre supplies from a Canadian pharmacy via mail-order.

I just placed an inquiry phone call to Mark’s Marine Pharmacy in Vancouver, B.C. They said they will call me back.

1 Like

I know the sensor is reported to take about an hour to warm up, but after I had my sensor applied, I visited friends who have a daughter with T1 and who was trialing the Libre. I did my first scan about 2 hours after the sensor was applied.

The first scan showed a reading under 3.5 mmol/L and falling. I had a quick Hypo fix then scanned again; still falling. I then went to my car and checked with the meter, a reading of over 7 mmol/L, a difference of more than 4 mmol/L. I ended up treating a Hyper not a Hypo.

Yes, I did find the scanner can be about 10 minutes behind my meter reading but after that I checked readings that were trending towards the Hypo zone with a meter.

Scott, are BGL reported as mmol/L in Canada?

Mark’s Marine Pharmacy told me that they do not stock the Freestyle Libre. I’m still interested if anyone knows that this device and related supplies can be purchased mail-order fashion from Canada to the US.

Anyone know if the 10-day sensor use is simply what the FDA has approved or will the sensor shut down after 10 days? I’m wondering if it can be worn longer.
I used one in a trial a few months ago, but only my dr could see the readings, which was worthless to me (I wouldn’t have agreed to trying it if I knew that). It was a bit smaller than my G5 sensor, so that’s nice. It had a 2-week life… shut down after 14 days.

It would be interesting for you to test downloading the LibreLink official android app (use VPN, download from e.g. UK playstore) and see if it works with the sensor. This should give you the full 14 days. Or just order a reader from Europe… it costs 70 bucks.

Yes, blood glucose is reported in mmol/ l in Canada.

Finally got my Freestyle Libre today and just applied my first sensor to my arm minutes ago! The 12 hour countdown has begun :smile: The total cost for the reader and 3 sensors at my local Walmart was $149.89. I was surprised that the sensors were so cheap at only $71.28 for the three ($23.76 a piece). At that price I’ll happily pay out of pocket if my insurance ultimately decides to refuse or only cover a little of the price.

I talked to Abbot on the phone this morning and they said that you should not have to pay anymore than $75 dollars for a 3 pack of sensors, and that they are cheaper to buy as a 3 pack. She also said that if they were more than that to call customer service (while at the pharmacy) and they would see what they could do about lowering the price to $75. Apparently they have a sort of savings program (for sensors only) that can be used if the price exceeds $75 by too much (I’m not sure how much though…) Good to know that it’s possible to always get down to a reasonable rate.

I have high hopes for this little device, and can’t wait to share more about it once I’ve put it to the test!

Thanks for sharing the info. For myself, with everything going up (insulin and all meds) it’s unaffordable. Unless my plan pays, which I don’t think they will. Glad you got it, hope all goes really well. It sure is a nice option for some of us who may not be able to get a Dex.

I don’t know about Abbot, but I get FREE Lyrica, and FREE Dexilant by filling out paperwork with the 2 respective manufacturers. One form per year nets me a fortune in saved copays. Dexilant is the priciest med I get, so I’m saving about $90/month just on that one med. Of course you have to meet their requirements for family income. Being on Social Insecurity, that standard is really EASY to meet!

I can check with Abbott but I don’t think they have anything going?

I’ll be interested to hear if they too, provide 100% (or even a huge discount) for patients w/o insurance. If you have insurance, they aren’t going to reduce copays. And us poor Medicare folks can’t even avail ourselves of coupons at pharmacies for reduced pricing on any med whatsoever. Somehow, the government made that illegal. Unbelievable, but true. that leave the only way to get things for free is to ask manufacturers if they have an assistance program that you qualify for. One of the 3 items I tried to get free from a mfgr was a no-go based on my income, because they require a lesser income than the other 2. As it is, I’m sorta close to the limit for the other 2 items.

No assistance. A medical shipping company called about sending my orders to my Kroger pharmacy, but had no coverage information. As of last weekend my pharmacy had no clue what the Libre was. There is no assistance program and mainly the commercial HMO plans are covering or something like that. Abbotts big line is to go on and on about how much cheaper this is than a DEX. Hey, it is not nearly the same thing! I was also told the sensors should be around $75 a month but I assume with coverage. I give up, too tired to worry about it. Too many changes for the new year. I did sign up for the MySugr bundle and hope a newer non One Touch meter helps me out some!

1 Like