G4 Dilemmas

Good morning, All!

I just received the new Dexcom. After a week of issues. It fails every time I get some sort of wet. . .sweat, take a bath or shower. They tell me not to cover the site, but I know people in my clinic do. I plan to restart today at some point, but I am not yet sure I like this meter?

Stop using anti depressants!

Hi Christa, I have not had any issues with moisture and I swim an hour every day. I do not cover the transmitter. Did you insert it yourself ? Or did a trainer help ? Could it be the sensor is just not properly seated in your skin, or the transmitter is not fully clicked in to position because that would allow water to leak in.
Just throwing out suggestions mostly because I have been so impressed with the G4.

I have inserted it under supervision. The sensor and site have been close to my skin, and tight. I am glad you can swim with yours!

Then it might just be a bad sensor or possibly a bad transmitter? I got the system in November and started swimming with it in January and although it loses signal in the pool it does not fail to regain signal once I get out of the pool. The longest I have worn a sensor is 17 days but I routinely get at least 10 out of them, that's with 9-10 hours in the pool.I'm sad you are having problems with it, and I do hope it can be resolved. You were diagnosed a year before I was and for me the G4 has been life changing. For the first time in a very long time I feel as though I finally am getting in control.

I would call Dexcom and let them know (use the call-back option that they give you after a while on hold: they'll call you back soon after).

I'm on my second month and have never had any problems showering, sweating, or swimming with it.

But my receiver button was having issues and I called Dexcom yesterday and they are sending me a new receiver, so you should call them:
1-888-SEVENGO (1-888-738-3646)

I am on my second receiver and meter. I just reinserted my site. They are sending me another inserter. I’m really hopeful this meter is as awesome as the Dexcom7.

Will be sponge bathing after yoga this morning. The Platinum is working great!

My guess was that the transmitter was not fully seated (clicked in) to the sensor. I got flaky results when I did that once. I didn't realize it until I was changing sensors, and noticed that only one side was clicked in. BTW, I don't remember if it was with my G4 or Sys 7.

That was Dexcom’s guess, too. However, the receiver is fully seated, and I am just sponge bathing for right now. Thank you!

When you say it fails, do you get the ???, or an error message ? Does it then work again once it is dry ?

This seems odd if it has happened for more than one sensor, which would seem to indicate the transmitter is faulty, or a box of bad sensors. It's very unlikely the receiver is bad - unless you're getting that wet !

The transmitter is the part you attach to the sensor on your skin. The receiver is what you see the gragh on.

Either way, it's not normal, so continue to work with Dexcom support or your clinic to get it resolved. Good luck !

I have gotten sensor failures three times. That got me a new sensor. I WAS able to restart it after the failure. It has always happened after a bath or shower, so I sponge bathed today. So far, so good. I can easily do a full bath/shower once a week.

Ok, so tomorrow will be one week since I most recently inserted my DexCom site. It is working well. I am not showering or bathing . . .just sponging. I am now wondering if anyone is doing what one Dexcom person told me? Wearing their site for more than one week? Am pondering the option with some medical advice in support. Anyone?? Thanks!

Ok, I would find this unacceptable. It’s one thing to do this short term to troubleshoot but bathing/showering once a week is not a good long term solution. Something is wrong. I bathe, shower, swim, sweat heavily during workouts.

I do have to reinforce the adhesive with SkinTac and I usually use flexifix. But I’m not getting sensor errors, ???, and failures like you are.

I average 10 to 14 days per sensor before they start to get flakey.

It’s a little weird, but a through sponge bath is OK as we try to figure out what’s wrong. I may throw in the tub tonight, and do a good long soak. I think it’s raining too. . . So when the dogs and I go fore a walk a bit later, that might tell us everything we need to know! <3

Ok, so yesterday, I changed my Dexcom site. While I was waiting to calibrate, sensor failure. New site. I called Dexcom. They said I populated too often. Ok, easy to fix. According to a email, I got, I apparently have a new kit and sensor arriving a little later on. I’m just not sure about this new monitor. . .

I hope the new kit and sensor work well for you. It's so frustrating when things keep going wrong.