I just exercised in the pool for the first time since starting on the Dex4. I didn't even give the Dex a thought. By the time I realized I probably should have done a little research first, and checked my receiver, it read all dashes. I remember someone saying here that they remove the transmitter if they think it is malfunctioning due to being wet, dry it off, and reattach to it to the inserted sensor. I tried that, but when I dried off the sensor, it came apart....the cannula came out. Sooooo, I will just start over with a new sensor and hope for the best with the transmitter. I'm off to read my users guide (a bit late,) but since I always learn so much more from you knowledgeable people, I thought I'd ask for your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

I get dashes when swimming sometimes, I always felt they were kinda like being out of range. I would advise against taking the transmitter out of a sensor because of just the thing you experienced. Towel off and you should be good to go. The receiver will reconnect in no time.

I swim with the G4 often. The only place I get readings is on my arm, any other place and the sensor will lose signal. Some people just turn off the receiver while they are in the pool. And leave it in a locker. The dashed lines mean the sensor is not communicating with the receiver. When you are done with your swim, just leave the sensor and everything alone. The receiver will pick back up as soon as it gets a signal, usually within 5-10 minutes. The dashed lines are not caused by water as far as I know, the ??? can be caused by water.

Thanks Seth and Clare. I guess I acted too soon. I’ll know next time.

it sometimes takes 1-2 hours for it to remedy itself. it always does.

I go in the hot tub almost every night with mine on. It seldom has a problem. It will get dashes for the time it is under the water because the water blocks the signal to the receiver (which I leave in the house to keep it away from the water). But, within 15 min of getting out, it is talking again. I did have a problem with the adhesive early on, but now I put Skin-Tac on before applying a sensor and that makes it stick pretty good. I usually get more than two weeks out of each sensor despite soaking it in 104 degree water for a half hour a day... My OmniPod takes the same bath each night with no problem either. There are some insulins that won't take the heat, but I use Humalog which does just fine in it...

If you get ???, that don't clear up in a half hour, you might have some water between the transmitter and the sensor. IF that happens, carefully remove the transmitter and wipe the water off (I use an alcohol pad) then gently dab any water off the two little black pads on the sensor and clip the transmitter back in (listening for TWO clicks). I think I have only had to do that three times in several years of this...

i swim with the g4 everyday as well. I use my arm for my sites and that is the only place i get readings as well.