G6 and the dreaded 3 hour error

Can someone remind me again exactly what is going on when you get the dreaded 3 hour sensor error? I’m at work and I think I have a bad sensor but no spare with me.

This morning I lost 1 hour of data on the way to work but didn’t catch the error message. Then the readings were way low so I calibrated (50+ points higher via finger than what it was saying) and then it gave me the 3 hour message.

Just as I was typing this it cleared itself but now I’m not sure what it is reading is accurate.

I’ve restarted my iPhne 5se which is the only receiver.

As far as I can tell it is seated well and secure with the dexcom overtape. I’m about 1/2 way into my 10 day wear.

That’s the circumstance I’ve had the few times it has happened to me: I see a BG reading that seems way off, so I test, find out it IS way off, calibrate, and if it’s too far off I’ll get that alert. Basically just means what it says in the FAQ: “The transmitter and display device are communicating; however, the system doesn’t understand the information coming from the interstitial fluid to the sensor.” Transmitter doesn’t believe what it’s seeing, so it stops relaying readings to the app while it does some kind of self-check. For me it has always come back way short of three hours, usually more like 1/2 an hour if memory serves.

Again, the few times it has happened to me it has been fine after it came back, so I wouldn’t be overly concerned. You can always do a few fingersticks over the next hour or so for reassurance.

1 Like

Some one on here has gotten this error persistently. They are working on getting to the bottom of their problem, specifically. Changing the sensor didn’t work for them, they suspected a faulty transmitter, but probably haven’t gotten a new one in the mail yet. Sounds like you have a different problem.

I bet DrBB is correct about the cause. When this has happened to me, like him, it generally resolves itself quickly - calibration helps the error resolve quickly. But, double check on manual BG stick. Sometimes I have to calibrate more than once to get the accuracy back.

I just bought a Bluetooth book that is super good. I just started reading it. I’ll read a bit more to see if you guys would be interested in it. So far, I really like it.

1 Like