Get-well-soon package for a 12yo T1 girl

The 12 year old niece of a friend of mine was recently diagnosed with T1; she’s still in the hospital. My friend asked me what would be a good get-well-soon package to send her (they live far apart).

Since I was diagnosed only a couple of years ago, it’s hard for me to imagine how a child feels in such a situation - it must be really unsettling. Do you have any ideas (for gifts, or general starting points how my friend can approach this)?

maybe a box of chocolate,sugar free,high quality (one of the things I got).
maybe a small make up bag to put her medication and things in.
that’s diabetes related,if you want something not related to D,try nail polish kits.
accessories maybe,sorry I couldn’t be more of a help,if you tell us something about the girl’s type(tomboy,…etc)it would be better :slight_smile:

Does she read? A good new book would be something cool. If she’s girly, some nail polish and other thingees. A gift certificate to a book store, Target, clothing store. I would avoid anything food related at this point. Call the JDRF to see if they have any kind of info packet for the family.

Wow, 12. I just can’t imagine.

I Tunes gift cards for music downloads and a really great book for girls her age,maybe one of the Twilight Series or Vampire chronicles…I have boys so not sure if those are still “in”. :0

Heh, I’m pretty sure there must be a diabetic vampire group out there :slight_smile:

Thank you - will look up the JDRF one.

Good one :0
My son has only been dx 2 months with T1 at 14…maybe the mom and I can exchange info to help each other out. Tell her (mom) to join and check out the site…it has been great for me for resources and meetings as well.

I agree that anything food related is not a good idea. it’s only going to remind her about her diagnosis. I think most of the sf candy tastes terrible anyway, and it still has plenty of carbs.

Ditto! Sugar-free candy is something we encourage diabetics NOT to use. It can raise blood sugar and cause feeling of unnecessary exclusion. We need to learn at the beginning that we don’t have to eat “special” just smart!

When I was 12, I liked movies, make-up, jewelry, and books.

JDRF does have a Bag of Hope that they send out to newly dx’d kids. Would be worth a phone call.

I also think it’s important to make the transition as seamless as possible. Dwelling on the differences in life can lead to depression, so it’s important to encourage the normality of life as much as possible. That’s what helped me get through it.

Something to entertain her because hospitals are the most borying place in the world seriously.
Games,books,magazines,wordsearchs.
Things to make her forget about being in hospital,I think nail polish kit is great idea something to do while sitting around.

I would take the contrary view, as we’ve all heard too many times “you can’t have that.”

I’d send her her favorite candy bar (Reese’s peanut butter cups is mine, by the by) along with directions on how to bolus (syringe or pump) the appropriate amount of insulin to cover the carbs in the delicious candy. Point would be to send the message that you can still have a normal life and enjoy the things you enjoy.

Best wishes for the young girl on her new pancreas-free journey.

Cheers, Mike

you’re welcome :slight_smile:
I guess it’s good I’m a girl and young and newly diagnosed so I can remember :slight_smile:
my sister bought me fancy pijamas :slight_smile: but that’s my sister so.
maybe drum sticks or whatever they call it.I second buying her books,or maybe those gift sets of twilight.

I was 9 when I was diagnosed, but I have always been more responsible than kids my age, so it was a little easier for me I think. I think a good thing to send would be puzzle books, and funny cards, stuffed animals etc. maybe somone could get her a really nice medic alert bracelet, kind of to commemerate this date? I know I hated the plain metal chain link ones, and I finally convinced my parents to get me a fairly expensive cats eye bead and silver one a couple of months ago :slight_smile:

Please give her well wishes and Good Luck from all of us here at TuDiabetes, and be sure to welcome her to join as well!

Some really cool ones on here…preteens and teens may like

www.stickyj.com

I got some beautiful flowers, some funny, non-diabetic-related books, maybe you could get her some MadLibs or other fun things to do…

Pretty make-up organizers are great for supplies at home, purses with pockets to while she is out to carry her meter, snacks and fast acting sugar, beaded ID bracelets are something that she would probably like instead of all the normal stuff that looks so serious and scary. But I have to say that something that I carry around for myself are those individual packets of Crystal Light for times when everything else is a sugary drink and I don’t want just water. They are very yummy and come in all kinds of flavors.

I wish her the best.

I was diagnosed nearly 28 years ago at the age of four, and I still remember the game the hospital gave me when we registered – Hi Ho Cherry-O.

I really enjoyed it, and it kept me busy during those long, boring days. Perhaps you can find a game that can be played both alone and with family members and friends when they visit.

If there isn’t a diabetic vampire, its a great character for someone to develop!

I was dx’ed at 11…

some of the items I got included board games to play with my siblings to keep my mind off of things,
a cool medium sized “makeup” bag long enough to fit syringes and insulin in.
a stuffed animal from my grandma
flowers- i dont know why, but I found it cool and all grown up to get flowers since my dad used to get my mom flowers…
friendship bracelets- maybe signaling that I wasn’t alone?