Getting a Vitrectomy

It would be unusual to get CME after a vitrectomy if it weren't there the morning of the vitrectomy.

The literature suggests macular edema may develop after PRP, but it sounds as if your's was limited.

Still thinking...

r

The literature I have read suggests that CME can develop after any type of eye surgery although it is most associated with cataract sugery (Irvine-Gass snydrome).

My surgeon was very familiar with my prior condition before the vitrectomy and made no indiction there was ever CME. At my 1-week follow up he noticed the pedaloid cysts had already occured.

Regardless, what would be a next step for me as the Kenalog appears to be having no real effect? (although it has only been 1 week)

Thank you for all your time with me
-Jeff

BTW: I'm in Central, IL and am willing to go wherever I need to if you have any recommendations.

If it has only been a week, I'd give it several weeks to even a few months. Be patient.

Stay in touch.

r

Thank you Dr.

Just so we are clear, I got the Kenalog injection 1 week ago but was on acular and pred-forte drops for 6 weeks before.

Are you saying the Kenalog normally takes several weeks to months to have any effect?

-Jeff

BTW: I just want you to know how much it means to me and other members that you are on here answering questions. We wait weeks and months to see an eye doctor and get only couple minutes of time. You are a real God-send. Thank you.

Ok. Where did you get the Kenalog? Actually inside the eye, or, outside the eye but underneath the conjunctiva or tenon's?

Can you see a white patch of medicine in the mirror?

You are welcome. I have written many articles on my blog about retinal disease. Participating here gives me a good idea of where we, as docs, can improve our delivery of information.

Thanks. Off to celebrate a 16th birthday.

Randy

Intravitreal injection of Kenalog. My doc also considered Avastin but felt the steroid would work better in this case.

Not sure wht you mean by a white patch of medicine? My vision is more "milky" since the injection in addition to the blurriness/distortion.

-Jeff

There are two ways to inject Kendalog. Intravitreal and underneath the conjunctiva. Both can be used in this situation.

Hi,
My husband had a vitrectomy also. Hes blind in his left eye now. Right eye is great :). He has blue eyes but his left eye is now green. It seems odd to me that this happened. Has anyone had this happen to them? I didn’t ask the doctor about it yet.
Michele