Do you have eye problems due to diabetes? Introduce yourself!

If you have diabetes and have had eye complications or you are legally blind as a result of diabetes, share your story here.

3 Likes

@ missrobbie

There are two types of laser treatments for diabetic retinopathy.

Focal laser - used for "leakage" and is the most common. No pain, Target area is the around the macula.

PRP - used to treat PDR where abnormal blood vessels proliferate on the surface of the retina. A vitreous hemorrhage is common in PDR.

Thus, if the laser treatment to which you are referring is PRP, then yes.

Which type of laser did you have and for what reason?

r

My last laser( PRP) was in Jan but I still one day my vision is "clear" and sometimes my vision is blurry. My left eye was blurry for 2 days this week but today, my left eye is slowly clearing.

last week i saw my ophthalmologist & no new bleeding.nice.years ago had 6 lasers left eye & 1 laser r. eye also cataract both.don't see as well as before but at my age not so bad...

Congratulations, Shoshana! I love hearing that your retinopathy has stopped progressing, that laser worked. I'm needing lots of laser these days <:-( You are giving me hope! - Also had cataract surgery in both eyes as you mention. That was a great thing. Didn't realize how degraded my sense of colors had become and now I see how beautiful the world is again! Anyway, good for you and thanks for letting us know!

1 Like

earthling,good luck,as long as you have a good doc. & trust him,you'll be ok.

1 Like

So it finally happened. I went from Moderate NPDR to Severe. I suspect PDR is not far away now. Yay for Diabetes.

Josh,

25 years ago I felt the same fear and frustration. Get the lasers and keep working on BG, stress levles, daily and things will look better. They are doing amazing things to help us keep from vision loss.

Thanks Lisa, I will try. I think it was just a blow to my state of mind as I was at the moderate NPDR level for almost 10 years. I might be from the tighter control and hopefully I won't need laser but if I do I have great drs who have been watching me for decades. Fingers crossed. I just need to work on the stress...that has been out of control. ;-/

opps.last email did not go.

anywy....Keep the faith and rely on this awesome site for advice and support.

Josh & Lisa - Great posts and Lisa, I agree! It seems like all of a sudden they are making great strides in eye problem treatment for diabetics... I starteed with my eye problems about 10 years ago, and my eye doc is really GREAT! I am still having probs but we have come a long way with the treatnebts (you can read my story at my website:http://supportersofsurvivors.com) (nothing for sale there....I promise!)

Hi!

I don't really think that my current question has much to do with my diabetes, but this seemed like a good place to ask.

I'm getting older. I have just been examined, and I don't have diabetic retinopathy. I do have some nerve anomaly which hasn't finished its runarounds yet, adn which may or may not be affecting my vision. I occasionally get short-term blurriness from changes in my BG, but I'm not sure that that's relevant either.

I often find it easier to make my own modifications in my computer's copy of other peoples web pages. For example, I sometimes enlarge the fonts and change them to boldface.

Can anyone suggest a basic text-on-background color scheme which usually helps, so I can use it as a starting point? Most of the pages I read are black-on-white, and I feel that some other scheme might be better. Black on yellow? Dark maroon on very light green?

Any ideas, please?

Thanks.
M.

TO MAPLESUGAR..ADJUST THE COLOR & 0THER THINGS ON THE COMPUTER UNTIL YOU FIND THE ONE THAT'S MOST COMFORTABLE FOR YOU.THAT'S WHAT I DID.

Yes, Shoshana, but I need some hint what colors to start with. What colors do you use?

YOU HAVE TO TRY TO SEE WHICH FITS YOUR EYES.WHAT'S GOOD FOR ME MIGHT NOT BE GOOD FOR YOU.I DON'T REMEMBER HOW I DID IT.YOU JUST HAVE TO EXPERIMENT OR HAVE SOMEONE HELP YOU
GOOD LUCK & LET ME KNOW WHAT HAPPENS.

Anyone care to give me an idea of where to start, please? I can't very well try several million color combinations at random.

Thanks.
M.

Oops always hit comment before I write anything. Anyway, for me a dark background with white or yellow letters is easy to see, like the screen on my Animas pump.

i just found out that i have wrinkled retinas.doc said if i find out what causes it
& what to do about it i should get the NOBEL PRICE & let him know.in the meantime i will take out the iron which i haven't used for years &......do some ironing...lol...