Glucose monitors

I am in the midst of training for the Niagara Falls Marathon in October.
I use the Omni pod which I have no trouble with.
I was wondering how many are using a continual glucose monitor. I do not and carry my strips and other testing things with me and then have to tale the time to stop and test. I dont mind doing that but was wondering if any one can give me the positives of using a CGM instead of the traditional way. Thanks

I use a CGM, it’s great to have the data, both for regular use and for running. I still lug the meter with me, in a baggie in my “batman utility belt”, but to be able to check trends quickly is very handy, even if it’s not 100% accurate. I trained for my first 1/2 marathon without it, and had run 13.3 miles w/ no CGM and then, in the race, it tore out so I didn’t have it anyway! I got some heavier dutier tape for the next race and it was extremely useful to have. I’d be leery of running for 2-6 hours (marathon?) without some sort of meter. I blew off taking a glucometer with me for a long time but started taking one and learned a few other things that I can use to keep things in line. Sometimes the CGM will run low after runs and becomes sort of useless, reading in the 40s for hours, while the meter says 70-75-68, then, when it’s in the 60s, it mysteriously “fixes” itself and gets synced back up. It probably sounds wierd but it is still really helpful to have.

Also, if you want to get one, you may need to act relatively quickly for an October marathon? A lot of insurers insist (foolishly in my opinion but well, we are stuck with them…) that you log 30 days worth of numbers before they approve you. I started the process I think in February for mine and barely got it in time for two races at the end of April last year. I still liked having it but there’s a learning curve too and the more time you get with it the better. If you’ve already talked to the doc and/or the sales nurse, you may be ok as they can be positioned to move quickly. Good luck with it if you pull the trigger!

I do not have a CGM (but kinda wish I did). I check a lot while training but try to not check during a race. Last week, during a half marathon, I felt bad so I stopped to test. but I hope to not need to do this during my next marathon.

The CGM is wierd and, while it’s not guaranteed to work totally accurately, I’ve had some excellent results with it. My second 1/2 (2 weeks after the first…), I was jittery about my BG trending down to the 90s right before showtime and had a glass of OJ so, by about 2 miles into the race, the CGM had hit 170. I didn’t test but took a 1/3 of a CB for the BG and by a couple miles later it was showing 120 so I had some gatorade to prevent a crash and it seemed to hang out around 120 the rest of the way. At the end of the race (w/ the finish on the University of Illinois football field, bouncy astroturf and the jumbotron!), I tested w/ my meter and it was 126, a really perfect result in my book. That was about my 3rd week of using the sucker. I’ve since had some other odd issues, the showing low all day after long runs is a bit tedious and kills my stash of test strips, but it is very useful to see patterns. I have cut back some running carbs after seeing how they combined w/ end of the run adrenaline to spike my BG afterwards and that’s good to know about!

I use a Dexcom CGM, and also carry a meter. I always test before and after a run, and if it’s a long run, I will test along the way. In a marathon, I usually plan on testing at the half, but I admit that I’ve skipped that test if everything is going well.
Whether I’m wearing a CGM or not, I will test if I feel like something is wrong.
You won’t always get totally accurate numbers from your CGM, but if you tested before you started your run, you’ll get a pretty good idea of where you’re at.
Carrying a meter also helps if you have some kind of problem with the CGM, which can happen. The sensor can sweat off or you can get errors for no apparent reason.
It’s definitely a good thing to have, if you can get it.

Thanks everyone for your input. I think I will just stick with my monitor for my first marathon and continue to test along the way as needed. I will look into a CGM after… I had thought if I used a CGM I wouldn’t have to use strips anymore so thanks for all the info… and wishing everyone great success in any Fall marathon you may have !!