Glucose test meters

Hi all
I recently purchased CVS Advanced Glucose Meter and did my first reading and it showed 162 and at the same time I tested on my Verio one touch blue tooth meter and it showed 148.
I see a big difference between the two readings and am really confused which one is more accurate. Can anyone advise please

See table 2 in the abstract link below. Then if looking for great repeated buy yourself a Contour Next. Link below for that as well.

Meter:

Full Kit with strips:

https://www.amazon.com/Contour-Glucose-Monitoring-System-Wireless/dp/B084GGR18H/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=Contour+Next&qid=1604247459&sr=8-6

In my personal experience, I wouldnā€™t trust any reading from a Verio meter.

1 Like

What @El_Ver said. Verio meters are random number generators. I have 3 because my DME provider sends me one every year, and it irks me to no end.

Oddly enough, the article @CJ114 posted is different than the one more commonly referenced. It actually lists the Verio IQ as one of the lower MARD meters, whereas the other study showed it failing at least one of the three accuracy tests, And showed the Contour next, one of the Reli-on meters, and the Freestyle Lite as the top ranking meters.

Anyone have that other study handy. I canā€™t go looking now myself.

1 Like

This has also been my experience with Lifescan meters. Insurance companies love them because of the $$ rebates.

I donā€™t know whether this is the link to which @Robyn_H was referring, but here is a link to the main table from the Diabetes Technology Societyā€™s meter accuracy paper:

https://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/diacare/suppl/2018/05/30/dc17-1960.DC1/DC171960SupplementaryData.pdf

And here is a link to the text of the article itself:

https://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/41/8/1681

I first used a One Touch when they were a startup in Mountain View, CA long before J&J bought them, so it pained me to realize how bad their meters performed in the accuracy study. However, since switching to a Contiur Next several years ago, I couldnā€™t be happier with the improved accuracy.

Stay safe.

John

1 Like

This is kind of a funny thread.
For those of us who have has this disease for a long time we remember what finger sticks meant.
It was never an absolute value. It was always an approximate range.

First they were strips where you put I giant drop of blood. Then you wiped it off with cotton then timed it again.at that point you compared it to a chart. And the ranges were something like under60,60-100,100-150 etc.
you never really knew and if your timing was off it was worthless.
Then those same strips were used to put in a meter after the third step to give you a number, however it was no more accurate.
Then came the modern ones that use an electrical charge mixed with hexonase to give you a one step reading. However it mattered how much blood you put on the strip so you were still dependent on technique.
Now we have the same technology but the strips allow only a certain amount of blood and fail when itā€™s too small.
So itā€™s better however itā€™s really never been accurate per se.
this is why with my g6 I usually just check with my meter and if itā€™s close I donā€™t bother checking it again.

We need to be careful to not put too much expectation into these devices.
The g6 however is very comparable to laboratories values. So I use the best thing I can get and I go with it.

3 Likes

@Timothy:

Nice historical summary and excellent point. I fear that it is too easy ā€¦ with either CGM or BGM ā€¦ to fall into the habit of seeing 117 mg/dL and thinking that it really IS 117 instead of thinking ā€œOK, Iā€™m somewhere between 110 and 125 mg/dLā€ I sort of wish there was an option to display to the nearest 5-10 mg/dL ā€¦

It would be interesting to know what kind of MARDā€™s early meters had.

Hereā€™s just a sample of some of the dozens of meters Iā€™ve gone through:

2 Likes

I have a couple of One Touch Verio meters I love, I compare one in particular all the time to my Contour and it is never more than a couple of points different. I had a ton of strips so when waiting for my G6 to start I will use the Verio to find out if I am staying in Range for when my G6 starts back up. But I am always testing them with the same drop of blood to see what they say.

Maybe I just got lucky with the ones I have but my Verio really hasnā€™t been much of a difference from my Contour. The One Touch Verios I use now are about 5 years old.

@Jimi63:

Ooh, nice collection! I think that the one in the upper right is the original One Touch, which is in the collection (but not on display) at the Smithsonianā€™s Museum of American History.

Seeing that makes me realize that I wasnā€™t as early an adopter as I had thought. I think my first meter was the One Touch II:

https://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/search?edan_local=1&edan_q=One%20Touch%20II%20&edan_fq[0]=online_visual_material%3Atrue

You raise an interesting question about the accuracy of those early meters. In my case, I was so happy to NOT be peeing on a stick, that I donā€™t think that I ever asked about accuracy.

You certainly win the award for the coolest meter collection.

Stay safe up north!

John

2 Likes

@John_S2, youā€™re right. That One Touch was their first meter, I got that one in 1991.

I also had the neutral coloured Accu Chek sometime around ā€˜88

I still have many of these in a box in the basement.

1 Like

I got one of those original One touchs in 1989, when diagnosed. Except mine only looked like that for like a week. My door that covered the flashing light fell off right away. What I remember most is how disgusting it was. There were little metal prongs that held the test strip, and the blood would always get sucked under a prong and crusted on.

1 Like

LOL, thatā€™s the one :rofl:

I still have the meter and found a test strip in the cover. Iā€™ll bet thereā€™s still crusted blood on the prongs too :rofl:

1 Like

@Mustafayem, opinions are like noses, for the most part we all have one and they are all different.

There are two issues here. FIRST is meter accuracy. Depending source most reliable sources will say a finger stick blood glucose should be within Ā±20mg/dL. With the numbers you in your message, 162 and 148 are equal because if you add or subtract 20 from either number, the opposite number is there.
Specifically, 162-20 = 142 and 148 + 20 = 168 so according to most experts, these two measurements are close enough.

For more information, check out: Glucose Meters: A Review of Technical Challenges to Obtaining Accurate Results

As far as meter brands are concerned, the nearest comparison is the brand of car driven. Some people swear by a brand of car as positive and nothing could be better. At the same time, another person would tell you the first personā€™s choice was junk and should never be permitted on the road, anywhere.

So, what meter should you select. Discuss the meter, possibly its test method, and its communication features with your doctor. You want a meter approved by the approving authority where you are. In the USA, it is the Food & Drug Administration. Second, if your doctor wants meter data sent electronically, you would want a meter compatible with the communication method used by the doctor & functional with your computer, etc.

Please share what you decide. It is how we all learn here. Wishing you the best.

This is my life. My one touch meter is the ONLY ONLY meter I trust. My insurance just rejected the strips and I have to buy my own from CVS. My one touch will always be 10 - 40 points ABOVE the CVS meter and Iā€™ve bought 3 and all are off. The doctor didnā€™t want to help me put an override on my insurance. I have given up and basically add points to my CVS meter. Itā€™s no way to live thinking you donā€™t really know whatā€™s going on in your body.
Itā€™s also done the 49 dollar unlimited program ā€œone dropā€ program and that meter same thing 10 - 40 points above my one touch.

Iā€™m not arguing with you. Maybe like someone earlier said, itā€™s just the luck of the drawā€¦ And Iā€™ve got really crappy luck. But Iā€™m curious why it is if all the meters vary, and some vary consistently, what makes you trust the OneTouch more than the others?

If you test twice in a row, does your OneTouch give you similar results? If I do that on any of mine, I get completely random numbers, often not even within the 20% of one another.

Iā€™m always curious about why people experience the same thing differently.

The following test/comparison was done in 2016, has Contour next highly rated.
What I like about the testing is they rated the meters at different bg levels.

Those numbers are well within spec at that spreadā€¦ a man with two clocks never knows what time it isā€¦ just decide which one you like more and or is more cost effective for you and forget the other exists