Glutamic Acid

I'm pre-diabetic (diagnosed 1/09), and anticipate I'm LADA due to lupus.
2 months ago, A1c = 5.7.
Recent Avg 7, 14, & 30 day BG readings: 110, 109, 111.

1. Is it too in the game to expect negative GAD &/or C-peptides readings?

2. If I have GAD antibodies (Glutamic Acid Decarboxlase), is it possible they could be a result of my being ultra-highly allergic to Glutamic Acid (msg, malted barley, natural flavor, carrageen, guar gum, etc) ?

Thanks.
Pat

Autoimmune diabetes (T1 or LADA) often occurs with other autoimmune disorders such as Lupus. Most patients with LADA will test positive for GAD65, but early on (particularly with reasonable blood sugar control), your c-peptide can be inconclusive. Are you GAD65 negative? If so, then why do you think you are LADA?

I have no clue about your second question, but I doubt that glutamine sensitivities cause autoimmune T1.

Hi bsc,
I haven’t had an GAD or C-Peptide testing yet, but anticipate to mid-late Oct.

What lead me to believe that ‘free’ glutamic acid might have a connection to Diabetes is:

How does the body usually deal with excess amino acids?

…In many patients with Type II Diabetes, their bodies view the enzyme responsible for turning MSG into GABA as an enemy and create antibodies to attack it so that it cannot do its job. This is a problem. The body is compromised in its job of getting rid of excess glutamate. It again is a question of balance, and what tips it.

MSG stimulates the pancreas to produce insulin. So many diets these days are concerned about the Glycemic Index of foods and yet none of them address the fact that MSG and free glutamic acid stimulate the pancreas to release insulin when there doesn’t even have to be carbohydrates in the food for that insulin to act on. The food industry has found their own “anti-appetite suppressant”. It’s a convenient way to keep consumers coming back for more. The blood sugar drops because of the insulin flood. And you are hungry an hour later. Sound familiar?

http://www.msgtruth.org/whatisit.htm

Pat

I’m not sure I would refer to this website as an authoritative source. I have not had time to go through the material, but it appears to be an inaccurate jumbling of random musings. This stuff is just not true. MSG does not stimulate the pancreas. MSG has been implicated for excitotoxicity in some people, if you react to it, you would know, but research has not implicated any other effect. If there was something “big” there, it would show up. Sometimes, not everything you read on the net is true, even stuff that I say.

Pat: Did you have your anti GAD and c-pept tests?