Googling yourself

That must be it. No field for zip on my profile page. When did you join?

I was sort of concerned when I signed up recently that I had to give my last name and my zip code, showing exactly where I live. When you have a child, that makes you feel vulnerable. How do you remove that info from the profile? I can’t seem to figure out how to do it.

July this year.

I decided to move out of the country. ZIP code is not enforced for foreign countries.

Yep, a new question.

Hope you enjoy things as an expatriated Tu D citizen:)

Shane’s discussion opened my eyes to personal disclosure & how little privacy we have. I didn’t join Facebook because I wouldn’t give the personal info they require & was stunned that people would willingly allow an engine to download their address book. But, here I am telling sharing far more personal info.

The web is predominantly a commercial enterprise & all are right about data mining capabilities. I like seeing everyone’s faces & never thought twice about adding mine, but maybe it’s not the best idea to use personal ones of ourselves & our families.

There are other places here where we’ve all given indentifying info, like geographic groups & groups discussing depression & other medical conditions.

Makes me sad that we have to think this way & censor ourselves to prevent privacy invasion.

Thank you Gerri! I should have read this earlier, I just googled myself and found out alot about me I had forgot! Gotta change that! Thank You!

Just wondering what you mean by “people would willingly allow an engine to download their address book” ?

I’ve received invitations from Facebook & from other similar networks. When I asked the friends who sent the invites why, they said invites must have gone to everyone in their address book. They didn’t single me out.

You might be referring to how people will join some group or install some application or join some event and afterward facebook asks you to invite other people (ie. your friends) to join the same thing. If you’re not paying attention you’ll end up sending invites to everyone on your friends list. People do this all the time because they’re not paying attention.

Facebook, out of all of the social networking sites, actually has pretty great, customizable privacy settings. I can control who sees what pretty well. I can even remove myself from google searches if I wanted to.

However, obviously, the entity of Facebook itself has access to all of the information that you put on the site. You have to trust them not to do anything with it. Just like you trust your bank, grocery store, video rental place, etc with your info, buying habits, etc.

Facebook is Facebook…a social networking site. I have a Facebook profile, but I am cautious with it. I choose not to post anything that I wouldn’t want an employer or my mother to see…perception is reality. A link to my Facebook profile appears after a google search, but that is where it stops. You have to be a “friend” in order to see my profile and what I post. Tudiabetes is designed around the same concept with a specific, sensitive focus. None of us are here to post pictures of the weekend we don’t remember or tell everyone about the girls we took home from the bar last night. We are here for support, a few laughs, and friends that share a common bond. I am in no way challenging the privacy standards of tudiabetes, I am just wondering if there is a way to minimize what appears for the world to see.

We do still have some control over what appears online…we just have to be extra careful.

Hope everyone knows that I wasn’t comparing our community to Facebook.

Yes, the zip code question was introduced to Ning (the platform that TuDiabetes is run on) at some point this year.

You are only required to put a zip code if you list yourself as in the USA. If you select another country, you can enter the city manually. Just a tip for those of you who really don’t want to enter your zip code.

Danny, there is no safe place. I just moved in next door.

HAHA :slight_smile: How strange to have a diabetic as a neighbor!

OMG! That’s insane! Guess I will be skipping eggnog this year! Granted I don’t consume a gallon of it, but close! lol It’s 61.16 units of insulin for me- which is about my TDD!

Okay, so I did this and changed my information as I too don’t want any potential employers or anything out there about me, but I googled myself afterwards and my picture still was in the top ten… and when it was clicked on, took me right back to here and one of the posts I started about my pump… any idea how to not have it do that?

Elizabeth

It will take a little while for Google to ‘forget’.

Ah, okay… hopefully! I’m a bit lucky in the fact that apparently there’s a celebrity with my name and most of the stuff is about her, but on the top where the images are, there’s mine. Thanks for the info!

Not at all…I was just elaborating. I don’t want anyone to think I am criticizing our community!