Got my CGM today... Advice please!

I got a Medtronic MiniLink Real-time CGM. Or as I call it, "the clam shell"
I've worn it on trials before, seemed comfortable enough.
Does it beam results to my pump?
How long do I wear each one?
Was the training difficult?

Some answers:
Does it beam results to my pump? The sensor is the part you inject into your skin. The "clam shell" transmits the data read from the sensor to the pump.

How long do I wear each one? After 3 days, they quit and your pump will alert you: Sensor End. However, I was taught to "restart" the sensor at three days and get six from it. I then discovered that the transmitter charge lasts about 7 days. So I restart it on the sixth day and replace on the seventh. It just made it a lot neater when I was working to change on a consistent weekend day and avoid all the work hang ups. So I change mine once a week on Sunday.

Was the training difficult? My trainer was fantastic and there really isn't much too using one. You charge the transmitter, insert the sensor, wait for the sensor to "wet." Then attach the transmitter, turn the sensor on and wait. Your pump will alert you when it is time for the first calibration.

There are tons of tricks. For example, it is best to input calibrations only when your meter reading is between 70 and 170, there are ISIG calibrations that can be helpful, etc. Once you get yours up and running, come back here and search for CGM topics. There is also a CGM group here that can be helpful.

thank you!

Spock is correct. The results are beamed (good word!) to your pump so, instead of 10-20 BG readings/ day, you get like 230 or so. I use mine for 6 days although I've tried some for 7 recently and they seem to work ok, maybe a bit less accurate? Mine just drifted out of warranty and is having some other odd issues, like it takes longer to charge all the way, so the new one is en route. I will perhaps try the longer "rides" again some more when it gets here. It seems as if lately it's not quite as accurate. The training was pretty easy but didn't totally get everything to click in my head the same way that using it a bit did.

I also agree w/ Spock that stable BG are useful for the calibrations. At least what seems to happen is that you push "yes" to calibrate but then it takes a few minutes to sync the reading to the CGM. It seems as if more stable BG leads to the number you put in being closer to the sync number, a few minutes later, and gives you a better calibration result? To me, the thing is sort of like a "babysitter" in that when I can, I try to anticipate the calibrations with smooth BG. It doesn't always work out but it helps me think "hmmm, that would be interesting to eat but, w/ the calibration coming up, I'm gonna sit tight..."

How often are you expected to calibrate?

The first day you stick one in, you do one like 2 hours later and then one 3 hours after that. This is the sucky one as I always do them in the AM and am trying to run around get ready for work, get exercise in and eating seems as if it can throw them out. A lot of times on "insertion day", I just eat eggs and go to work. Then one more at bedtime. The next days, until it runs out, I do one when I get up, one at dinner and one at bedtime. They last about 12 hours but you don't want to have a "METER BG NOW" while you aren't paying attention to it as you'll lose your telemetry. Every now and then, I'll skip a calibration for one reason or another or if I just don't want to be bothered but then the MBGN warning will sneak up on me.

"Beam me up Scotty" is always good. Amazing how everyone speaks "trekkie."

A lot of the CGM is finesse. Try things. If I insert a sensor at night, I do not need the testing AR has discussed. Get up, attach the sensor and it beeps for a reading. (Iy does require a reading after 6 hours, no matter when it beeps you.)

The thing I hate most is the time (and the 10 penny nail, AR) it takes. I can change out my pump in less than 5 minutes. The sensor takes hours and I really do not like that. After 3-4 years I am more relaxed..

However, I have been going through a very weird blood glucose time lately and turned my CGM off 10 days ago. Although I like the knowledge it provides, it can get mentally addictive. I found it really helpful in some cases, but have actually done better lately without it. I was afraid to not use it and have discovered that it helps to let go for a while.

That said, my husband found me in the "low BG position" (in bed) last night. I hate when that happens. But,remarkably, I did fine. I think relaxed agrees with me.

Do not dismiss the CGM. It can be a powerful tool in understanding and controlling Type 1. Just be sure you remain the one in control.

like Spock said put it in at night - wait till morning for ur first calibration i find this works best and sets me up for a good run- if i put one in in the morning and then cal at like 10am its a lot less accurate.