Health Insurance question--any suggestions?

Hi all!

I’m new to the forums, and I have a burning question that I have been trying to solve for a bit now. (Note: Copying & pasting this from my post in the Canada group forum as per a suggestion…it was a good idea :slight_smile:

I
am a Canadian. Vancouver, BC to be more exact; 23 years old, type 1 diabetic, on the Paradigm Minimed pump since August, and I have no health complications. I don’t have perfect readings yet due to some previous Lantus problems that prompted me to give the pump a try; I’m doing everything I can do fight it down though, and in the meantime I don’t have any diabetic complications that could bring up issues with insurance stuff, which my question is about.

I am planning to go
to school in the US (Washington state) for at least a 2 year period, beginning in January 2011. My fiance is moving there from Iowa to be with me, and he can’t immigrate/come to Canada for about 2 years due to some legal reasons he’s clearing up. Neither of us want to wait longer; we’ve stuck in for 2 years already and I feel I have enough crisis in my life dealing with school and type 1, we make each other happy so about high time we get a chance, lol!

I would be on one of the US F-1 student
visas while I do an associates degree at a community college.

SOOOO
now I have to find health insurance! BLAHRGH! @#)*@)(!@!!! I have everything else figured out except for this gigantic nuisance. I need to find insurance that will cover my insulin pump/testing supplies (all prescribed by doctor). It would have to be somewhat affordable as to premium and deductible, due to me being a student. Also, I would greatly prefer a plan where they pick up the bill at the pharmacy and do not make me submit for reimbursement, if at all possible. Of course full

coverage for prescriptions is the dream, but copay would be fine if it’s not too much (as in buying the plan would end up costing me more money than if I didn’t).

I could probably get a health insurance certificate, as I am
currently covered by Sunlife insurance in Canada, in addition to Government of Canada “MSP” insurance, which I would retain in the states.

Anyone have suggestions as to a health plan I could purchase on either Canadian or US side? I’m hunting diligently on my own but it’s slim pickin’s, given their big economic crisis and all right now. Yes, I know they’re doing a reform, but, ironically, it comes into effect during 2014…everything good always happens about a year or two after I need it!

Thank you to anyone who has an idea, I realize I’m looking during a bad time but I refuse to believe it’s impossible! :slight_smile:

Can’t you be a dependent of your parents as a full time student until you are 25 and retain your health coverage under them? Do remember that you could get all your supplies shipped from canada and Washington state is like almost a canadian province, canadian pharmacies and services area not that bad a road trip away.

Schools also require health coverage and will include modest expense health insurance coverage for students, unfortunately, the coverage for diabetic supplies is typically very poor in those policies.

Most colleges and universities offer a health insurance plan for their students. I don’t know if it will cover your pump or not. Call the school and ask.

Terry

Hi!

It sounds weird, but one thing you might want to consider is getting your prescriptions and pump stuff in Canada. If you contact your college, they can get you enrolled in their student insurance plan. This is important to have in case you have an emergency room visit or something, but it probably won’t do much for your prescriptions. You could keep this insurance just in case since it’s cheap, and then travel to Canada for your pump supplies and prescriptions. If you’re in WA, it shouldn’t be that hard to get into Vancouver every three months or so.

As ridiculous as this sounds, it might actually be cheaper for you in the long run.

Hi There: :slight_smile:

Good info so far.

I’m not sure is this is helpful but I thought I’d add it.

http://www.usastudyguide.com/internationalstudenthealthinsurancemed…

Parental Insurance coverage in Canada is only useful if the Student is living at home. I think that coverage is to age 27?

Good Luck in all you do.

Hi all! More facts:

• My chosen school is small and does not have a health plan or health service for students (forgot to mention that…the reason I’m hunting in the first place). However, this school is the most reasonable in tuition, while allowing me to live close to home (about half an hour away, from my mom, who is also a type 1 :slight_smile:

• I cannot stay a dependent because I will be out of country. (I am under dependent insurance right now, in addition to government health plan)

• I considered doing the across-border thing, but am just nervous about the thought of having the border between me and supplies my life depends on. I’m not going to cut it so tight that I can’t cover one or two supply rounds if I need, but still…Also, when I am not in BC, my fair pharmacare cancels. I believe as long as I have my health MSP I can get it reinstated as soon as I cross the border, but it’s another consideration. Finally, pharmacies in BC only fill 3 month orders once a year; I’d have to come back every two weeks to get some of the supplies. I think in general, if I can find a health plan it would be better.

Thanks for the link, I found one promising-looking plan. E-mailed them with some questions :slight_smile:

You’re Welcome.

Whenever you get settled into College and into your studies, please set an alarm inbetween to test and have something to eat. Studies can become all engrossing. :wink:

I (@$&(@$U hate my computer. Just wrote a long post, and it did some weird thing and changed websites, so I lost everything. It’s lagging and sometimes words don’t appear till about 3 seconds after I type them.

Anyways:

• The plan I inquired about (Citizen Secure/Atlas series) informed me as a type 1 I am declinable.

-I found one plan that: has a 6 month wait period, covers 50% of supplies, $45/month premium, totals to out-of-pocket $300 a month (out of $500), not so bad, but I am used to having 100% coverage after a $1000 deductible…and being on student loans, every penny will count.

-I am upset about this and think the health system is absolutely disgusting…I work very hard and get higher grades than alot of students, yet I’m the one who has to cut like $300 from food or books money in order to live. I realize this is the way it is for many Americans, and I don’t mean to offend, but that just makes my skin crawl.

-I know I could get coverage under fiance’s plan if he worked. A few things prevent that: we’re waiting with marriage due to his Canada legal issues in process of clearing…I want us to live here, in the land of bountiful diabetic supplies. If we go ahead, and he isn’t cleared, then the US side is our back-up. If we’re married, immigration is 3X longer for me.

-Thought of company-of-two insurance idea: fiance could set up small company, say a graphics design thing. Would be a lot of paperwork—and I don’t know how I would get clearance for full time off campus work from US border; also unaware of what yearly tax stuff/company running stuff is like.

Any other thoughts? Forgive my ranting, just frustrated. >,>

I hate to be a killjoy but, I really think your only 2 viable options are to either marry your man now, so that you can then be covered on his policy (really this is only viable if he has a policy that will cover you) or wait until he can move to Canada with you. You have found the only type of coverage you might be able to get (and you don’t know until you apply for it if they will actually cover you) in the U.S. right now, and it is not good. Creating a small business is not a simple thing, and it’s not going to get you insurance in any way (businesses here don’t magically get insurance coverage for their employees because they are businesses). I agree with others that if you are determined to come to the U.S., you need to get as many supplies as possible before coming here. Maybe you can skate by with no insurance for a couple of years, and hope you don’t develop any other condition or get in a car wreck or some other catastrophic issue.

Yes it is disgusting that health care here is a “privilege”. If you were a citizen, you could probably join a state pool or something, but as a non-citizen, you’re not getting jack from the state or federal government. That’ just how it is right now.