Heat and diabetes supplies

In response to Danny's post...T

HANK YOU!!!!
Similar story, got my supplies delivered on Tuesday heat index over 104 here. Truck arrived at 1 o'clock, the box was hot as hell, I unpacked and ALL the boxes inside were like hot little bricks. Called my provider and politely, apologetically explained that temps exceeding 90 degrees could result in spoilage , thus misreadings for their many clients. She huffed at me and said "Well I guess our Diabetic patients won't be able to get their supplies during the summer"
Wrote her supervisor who was super cool, apologized, confirmed with manufacturer (read the package people!) that indeed these temps could cause malfunction, she offered to replace product. I wanted to know how she would do to ensure safe delivery for everyone during the extreme conditions.....anyone heard of air conditioned vehicles, cold packs , ...we have the technology. She said they could not do that but would make delivery trucks ensure that their packages would go out first of the day..........seemed a decent compromise.
My son has Autism and Type 1 , and hypo unawareness. Had a 40 BG last week and was completely lucid and appeared normal.........testing is all we have........I hear what your saying and it's as clear as the print on the package!!!!

Wow good catch! i have had insulin in mail orers delivered and left outside. I did the same thing, and wound up with 28 bottles of insulin…3/4 of which worked! Not too bad, but im glad they replaced it to begin with.

My pharmacy mails my daughter’s insulin in an extremely thick walled styrofoam container with ice packs. Everything has been nice and cool when opened.

Same here arrives in its styrofoam cooler thingy. I have everything through the mail – cheaper! convenient – and it all arrives icy cold. Good insurance plan thank goodness for our union.

This is all attempts to save money. As carb101 notes, you can ship in styrofoam containers with ice packs, but even better you can put temperature sensors inside the boxes which read off the highest temperature encountered. The sensors cost almost nothing, but the companies don’t want to use them since it will cost them much money to ship properly and replace products that have been ruined by temperature excursions.

In my view, we spare no expense making sure that medicines are safe and of the utmost quality. If you even suspect mishandling of your insulin, test strips or sensors, you are entirely within your right to ask for replacement.