Hello!

Thank you!!! :slight_smile:

Devon I know how you feel. I was diagnosed at 18, my freshman year in college in 2006. I had to go home for a semester since I was in an out of state college and really needed the support from my family. Do not get discouraged and it is ok to cry and get to out of your system, everything will be ok. I am actually healthier now being a diabetic than I was before. I actually just discovered this site this week and I have been diabetic for 4 years pretty much alone, so you are blessed to have found this great support system right off the bat. I started out with your same meds when I was diagnosed and got on the pump just 3 months after being diagnosed. Make sure to find a good endocrinologist, one that is progressive and up to date on the new technology and treatments for Type 1. You are entering a time in your life that can seem scary and that your life is a little less bright now that this has happened to you, but know that there is hope and that you are not alone. I have been able to help so many people just by getting this disease and helping people be healthier and more aware of the truths of diabetes. Get as much info as you can to start understanding what is happening to you, and stay encouraged!!!

Hi Devon, my 14 year old son was diagnosed on January 8th of this year with type 1. I can totally relate to your feelings. We have been through a very trying month, but I can tell you this it gets better! You will figure out what works best for you and when you do everything will fall into place. My son is also vegetarian, has been since birth. So I wish you all the best! Read, research everything so you can understand what is happening to your body. I did and it really helped me to understand what was going on with my son. Best of luck to you.

Devon, I am a visual arts grad too, and currently working on my education degree :slight_smile: woo, nice to see more artsy people around here

HI Devon-

I was a healthy, active 30 year old when I was diagnosed too. No one in my family every had Type 1. It was a huge shock. The first days were dark for me. The adjustment in my self-concept going from being a “healthy” person to a diabetic was huge. It took me a long time to be able to say “I have diabetes.” I felt so vulnerable, and had trouble picturing my future. But here I am, 10 years later, having gotten married, had two kids, and established myself in a new career since my diagnosis. I never thought I life would feel normal again, but it did, and it did not take as long as I thought. I adjusted. You will too. It’s not nearly as bad, or as hard as it seemed at first.
Good luck
Cathy

Hi Devon. This site really helps when you’re feeling alone. The only other Type 1 I know in ‘real’ life is 7 years old. So I feel pretty isolated unless I’m on TuDiabetes. Just reading all the stuff back and forth between fellow Type 1s keeps me feeling more normal. Plus it’s entertaining!!

wow that is awesome.good luck.