Help! Fighting Lows

For about a month and a half I had only 1 low. I was constantly correcting and trying to fight the highs. Then, on Tuesday, it suddenly flipped. I have done nothing but fight lows for 5 days. I don’t know what to do about it. Is there a reason that this would have happened?
Do you guys think that I should adjust all my basal rates or just do a temporary basal rate at 80%?
I am sick of fighting lows! I am 47 right now and just consumed a bowl of apple sauce and a cupcake.

Hello! were you more active than usual on any of those days? Have you check to see for air bubbles or low on insulin? I would call your endo or cde and ask them the best ways to stop thease lows. Take care bye diabeticidol94

Hi Cara,

I had this problem for about a week and a half last summer. Called my doctor and she said it was most likely one of three things: More exercise throughout the day or even rigorous exercise from a couple days ago, recent or current weight loss (that’s what it turned out to be for me. I’d only lost three pounds but even that much did something), or pregnancy (which really scared me when she suggested that one!).

I use to have this problem too, but that was cause of the supposed “Honey Moon Period” or whatever the doctor called it. More than likely do a little less exercise.

The only think I think I might have done different is I started a new bottle of insulin. I wonder if the old one wasn’t bad, and then the new one was? Could be.

I wish it was a honeymoon period! :slight_smile: But no such luck. I’ve been diabetic for 23 years, so my pancreas long ago quit working all together. :slight_smile:

I don’t believe there’s been any weight loss and there’s no chance of pregnancy. Right now I’m thinking it may just be a weird change in insulin absorption or the new bottle of insulin.

This could be related to your monthly cycle. I have yet to figure out all the intricacies of how my insulin needs change during the month, but one thing is for sure: about two days before I get my period, I become very insulin sensitive… and it lasts about three days. It took me about 4 years to figure out that this was what was causing these days where I went low repeatedly and couldn’t eat enough!

We are all unique in this way, but I thought that I would mention this in case it could be the cause of your lows… I will need to low my basal rates and adjust my carb ratio about two days before I start to menstruate. I’m still experimenting with how much I need to lower…

Hope that you are able to stop these lows!