High blood sugars after Victoza

Oh my goodness! I am SO frustrated. My doctor put me on Victoza as she has had great success with it in type 1’s. It worked, really well. I didn’t spike as much, I was taking less insulin, my blood sugars were generally within range more often than not. The side effects, though, almost put me in the hospital! After starting the third week of it, I got sicker than I have been in a long time. Severe cramping, vomiting, diarrhea, it was horrible. I was terribly dehydrated and in a lot of pain for 2 days. On top of that and the fact that I had become underweight, I stopped taking it. I felt better the day I stopped it. I had reduced my basal rates on the Victoza, and set them back to the original rates. Now my blood sugars are doing things they’ve never done before! I had never had a problem with dawn phenomenon, and now every morning I start to go high, my corrections need more insulin, I need more insulin to cover my breakfast, and I’ve been running on temp rates from 110% - 130% and my basal needs just keep changing! I feel hopeless and I feel defeated. My doctor is out of town, but I have an appointment with her on Nov. 16th. I sent her a message but only got a response from a secretary saying that I need to make an appointment. I’m really chasing my tail here, and not quite sure what to do.

Is it possible that the Victoza caused some insulin resistance? I feel like this medicine ruined my life and I’m very angry about it. I don’t know what the next step is, but I’m desperate to fix this. Just wondering if anyone had any ideas, or maybe just a little support.

My brother was talked into trying Victoza around the fist of the year and it was a disaster, within three weeks he was very sick…His experience was similar to yours and it took him about 3 months to completely recover and get back to his Normal self (not sure there really is a normal for us PWD’s). We work together everyday and there was nothing pleasant about his Victoza experience…glad I didn’t jump in and try it with him…:slight_smile: He was the guinea pig on this one. I have learned over the years that anytime something really good comes along then the DOC will be flooded with success story’s and that has just not happened with Victoza.