High fat low carb = high sugars for anyone else?

48? I was taught 30-32. Oh no, where did I lose so many ATPs? :slight_smile:

introduce her! this site has given me so much support and so many answers. tell her to stay strong, we are all in this together.

i am not good in the science department at all, but this seems very interesting and helpful. i started this diet to both maintain my healthy numbers and get rid of my last 5 pounds to reach my goal weight. my numbers seem a bit higher and my weight is fluctuating between 133 and 136 every morning! i am needing more insulin then i did before because i was not eating as much fat. i do not know which foods to eat! i have been focusing mostly on ---- eggs, steak, bacon, roast beef, and leafy green veggies. occasionally some almonds, mostly around exercise. i work out every day…gym 2 days a week in which i spend an half hour running and an entire hour weight lifting. days that i do not hit the gym i spend about 2 hours walking.

Its not a myth. Its the old fashioned way of just counting carbs. For years I was told to only count carbs (remember “exchanges”) but now that there is much more knowledge out there…fat and protein count too. The fat can get converted in your liver to glucose and is stored as “emergency glucose produced by the liver” quite often kicks in when you have low BG.
Sheila

Yes, I have definitely had this happen. The only solution I have found is that when I’m eating a meal that is higher in fat & protein is to take a small amount of insulin at the beginning of the meal, and then another small dose at the end (2 units and then 1 unit, respectively). In doing this, I have managed to keep those PPs down under 140.

I have never heard anyone say to only account for protein if it is less than 5 grams. My guess would be that someone did that because they are taking a percent of those 5 grams; they consider it too small to bother with (using 58% for protein and 10% for fat, per 5 ounces, that would work out to 3.4 grams to be bolused for). Someone on a pump would obviously find it easier to bolus for that than someone on MDI.

I account for everything. It is not just protein in a slab of meat that you have to look at. Even 1 cup of lettuce has ½ gram of protein. When you start adding up all the hidden protein, you will most likely have more grams than you think you have.

Don’t forget most of the people that are doing TAG are also doing lower carb so they are replacing the carbs with protein. I am doing a little experiment this week and have cut out dairy. I also don’t eat any gluten, which means no bread items. For lunch, I am having 2 hamburgers – they are plain with nothing but salt so have zero grams of carbs. I still have to bolus for that or I will go high.

If you want to lose weight, you need to have carbs. I know it sounds counterintuitive, but they way your body works when you’re thin is different from when people are fat. When you’re thin, your body clings to fat like a kid to a candy bar. Also your body adapts to whatever you are feeding it. That can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on what you want. Since you are taking if few carbs, you body will do whatever it can to store those carbs, either as glycogen or as fat in preparation for your workouts. One thing to do is to eat a few more carbs, but also spread your meals out over 6-8 meals during the day. By eating small very nutritious meals throughout the day, you are encouraging your body to keep your metabolism up and burn more calories because it’s not thinking that you’re going to not feed it later. This diet works well with MDI therapy because you can eat every 2 hours, as long as you are careful about stacking your insulin. An example of the meal timing would be on my group page. Keeping in mind that I’m a lot bigger than you and I take in way more carbs that should be “allowed,” but this is what it takes to keep me from losing weight. I’ve had to modify the diet for summer, but it’s a good rendition of small meal eating.

“If you want to lose weight, you need to have carbs.”

I think there will be alot of low carb people disagree with that statement, including me!

Breakfast one unit: 3/4 cup Eggbeaters with 3 tablespoons of salsa & 2 ozs of Almonds

Mid Morning: 1-2 ozs of Cheese

Lunch one unit: 2 Boiled Egg Whites, (Kroger Brand) CARBMASTER Yogurt 4 carbs, 1 tbsp. Peanut Butter

Dinner two units: Different daily but usually 6 ozs of lean meat, and about 3 servings of vegetables 2 cups broccoli and 1 cup green beans or asparagus, etc. Or if we go out to eat grilled chicken salad with Ranch Dressing.
So a total of only 4 units humalog a day. I also ride a stationary bike for a total of an hour a day.
I weigh 102 lbs. and doing this I have not gained any weight from insulin I am staying the same.

zoe,
Your body needs nutrients to survive therefore if you are taking out carbs you must replace them with more protein and healthy fats.

Then I think you need to read up on your current scientific literature.

I agree with LiL MaMa

I follow Bernstein and he doesn’t feel anyone needs that many carbs.

5 ounces of protein, Kelly, not 5 grams!

I eat enough protein but don’t eat meat, so it isn’t usually high fat. For me, when I eat lower carb meals they just have less carbs, not necessarily more protein or more fat. I think perhaps as a middle aged women I need less protein than a young person would and I gain weight way too easily to intentionally eat high fat.I also think Americans eat way more protein than they need. I’m not disagreeing with what Tag’ers do, it just doesn’t seem to apply to me. I think like Maurie says, if your I:C ratio is working for the foods you eat then its working. I also have a goal to minimize the time I spend thinking about my diabetes not introduce new complexities to focus on!

Sorry Zoe, I obviously read that wrong! That is actually even worse than grams so my guess is whoever wrote that was not a true TAGger.

I agree that we need to do what works for us. I am going to be 52 in a few weeks so I am technically middle aged also! My metabolism is super slow and I am not able to be as active as I would like. I do better better watching both carbs and calories but the fat doesn’t seem to affect me.

Yes… I find it very annoying, especially when you eat things like pizza. Even using an “extended bolus” on a pump doesn’t seem to always prevent my 20-40 mg/dl 2-3 hours later… Grrrrr

Yogi

Thanks for posting this link Danny. I use TAG but never would have thought about extending the bolus over 6-8 hours. Perfect timing because I am going to Outback Saturday night & hopefully can stick to steak only!

I’m going to sound like a broken record here… dietary fat does NOT cause body fat! :slight_smile: (on a no-grain diet!)

Wouldn’t that be “high fat/high carb” Yogi?

Yes, unfortnately… But if the pizza is good, it may be worth it… LOL… (every once in a while of course).