History of Diabetes - ADA History Exhibit and Sessions

I realize my last blog post may have caused some of your eyes to glaze over. So I’ve written a “lighter” post which should be more entertaining and easier on your eyes. And I particularly hope @Richard157 enjoys it.

This was the 75th ADA Scientific Sessions and history played an important role. In addition to a large display of artifacts and recordings of important diabetes history there was also a special two hour session devoted to “50 Years of Diabetes Research and Treatment.” The session was chaired by Robert Ratner who graciously lent many of the artifacts on display in the history exhibit. The Symposium had Dr. Daniel Forte give an overview of 50 years of research, Dr. Fred Whitehouse gave a great overview of treatment and Dr. Michael Brownlee gave a perspective as a patient, physician and researcher. Finally, Kathrym Ham gave a really personal and touching story of her 78 years with Type 1. There were about 70 Type 1 50 year Joslin Medalists in attendance many with the supporting family. Dr. Whitehouse specifically recognized all the medalists and noted in particular the family support. One has to but wonder what role that support had on the long-term success of the medalists.

That sums up the symposium, but if you want to see more of the History Exhibit I encourage you to read more of this post

ADA History Exhibit

Read more »

4 Likes

Brian, thanks so very much!! I really appreciate the photos. I miss the TuDiabetes “Diabetes Photo Museum”. The museum could not be transferred to this new site. I did save many of the photos before the old site was taken down. Now I can save the pictures you showed here.

1 Like

I enjoyed the gallery very much (though your autofocus needs some work :wink: ). Particularly the early glucometers, which sent me on a bit of a google exploration to learn more about the Ames Eyetone. Apparently it was actually the second version of an optical tester. The Ames Reflectance Meter was first, but not suitable for in-home use by patients, and the Eyetone was actually the product of a Japanese firm that sold it to Ames. Kind of a fun article about the whole subject here: History of Blood Glucose Meters