Hitting Veins site change

I went on vacation for about 3 days to Canada’s Wonderland in Toronto. The night before I had to change my infusionset as my bloodsugar was rising unusually fast. My cgm confirmed that. So I changed the inset. In the morning after breakfast it still looked like it wasn’t working. It was a hard day on my first day of my vacation. I must have changed the site four times that day because my inset was in a vein. I have lost some weight so I wonder if that has something to do with hitting so many veins. Yesterday after supper was the same thing. I figured that there was a problem as all my aftermeal blood sugars were on the high side. What do you do in order to avoid veins? I was using my leg. I have been trying to avoid my stomach for a little while.

To avoid veins? For me, it’s as simple as luck. I’m almost always lucky. Seriously, I see no method that one can use to prevent it from happening.
With regards to bleeders using the G5, in almost 2 years, I’ve had no more than 3. I change the sensor every 7 days so that’s quite a few sensors in that time. I chalk it up to luck.
With respect to infusion sets, I use steel sets and almost never have bleeders (the kind where blood backflows up the tubing.

I just ordered some of the Sure T manual insertion infusion sets. Can you reinsert them if the site is in a vein?

Yes, just pull it out and reinsert elsewhere. You may need to apply some additional over tape however.

Yes, I did that yesterday. Not because I knew I hit anything but because my bg’s weren’t coming down after repeated boluses. All that is needed is something such as an IV3000 to secure the set in its new location.

That is great. I hope I don’t develop an allergy to these insets. I don’t have any allergy to anything so hopefully my chances will be good.

My site that I have been wearing for the past 2 days worked it’s way into a vein again so I used the Sure T inset today. Right now I am just waiting for my sugar to come down from the mishap.

1 Like

My dexcom woke me up last night. I was a little high so I did a correction twice and my sugar didn’t go down. I had to move the site to the surrounding area as it was in a vein. The Tsure insets make an emergency like that in the night much easier to deal with. All I did was clean the needle with alcohol and plug it in a nearby area of the tubing port.

I don’t clean the Sure-T needle if I’m going to move it because I don’t want the needle to possible snag the fibers of the swab and have that go in to me. IMO, best practice is to just wipe the skin with alcohol where u are going to install the set and be careful that the needle doesn’t touch anything during the move.

I have been having great success with this inset. I have only been using it for 9 days and according to my dexcom my average, standard deviation, and time in range have all improved. I don’t know why I didn’t try this inset a long time ago. It would have saved me alot of time, trouble and money.

I got confused when u mentioned “inset”. I guess you mean u are using a Sure-T?

Yes, I mean the Sure T. I say inset for a short version of infusion set. I love these infusionsets. Like I said, I wish I had started on these a long time ago but when I first started on the pump doing the manual insertion made me feel like it was basically giving myself a shot. I guess I am over that now as I have been on the pump since 2008.

1 Like

The two worst sets I’ve used are the Sof Sets (too many failures–leakage–at the connection) and major pain, swelling, redness when using angled sets. Putting those in was torture! I used just a few of the angled sets. The 3rd worst set for me was Quick Sets. They irritated me and often the cannula would kink causing “no delivery”. I sure don’t miss using any of those sets!

I started out with the inset30’s. I couldn’t get the angle correct and when I tried to insert it the cannula would just graze over the skin resulting in high bloodsugars. With the t sure infusionset if I think it’s in a vein I will pull it out and check it before the high even happens. Before I would feel bad that I had to waste an infusionset. My blood sugars have been amazing and I am so happy for that. I wonder when I was using the automatic insertion how many times I might have had it near a vein and chalked it up to poor control because I’m not eating any different.:slightly_smiling_face: