HMB supplement and glucose spikes

I’ve been taking HMB for about a month now but in the last week have had, rapid rising , high bloodsugars between 2-3am . I’m taking 3 capsules daily as recommended for the purpose of helping sore thigh muscles I’ve had over a year. I’m not an athlete in fact I’m 75 yrs. type 1 for 55 years. I’d read reports this supplement was being used for bed ridden patients and the elderly to heal and rebuild as well as stop further deterioration of muscles. Its been an outstanding success as I’m pain free and taking back my mobility. I’m thinking of halting the HMB to see if my night spikes disappear.

Ive never had dawn phenomena in my entire diabetic journey till now. Can it start suddenly after all this time ? I’m on a tandem and about to start Dexcom …or was I just lucky ?
FWIW the HBM has been a game changer, I was almost sedentary .

2 Likes

What is HMB supplement? I’m not into the supplement jargon. I think I need to catch up on my reading…

I didn’t know what it was either…
According to WebMD:

https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-45/hydroxymethylbutyrate-hmb

You could stop it for a few days to see if the HMB is the cause but if it’s as helpful as you say then stopping it for some DP seems overkill. Since you are starting Dexcom and I assume Control-IQ soon I wouldn’t worry about it and just let Control-IQ handle it. DP can start at any time and go away on it’s own.

@Sputnikle I wasn’t familiar with this supplement. I just scanned through 3 studies, the first with young and old human males, the second with rats artificially made type 1 DM and the third with non-diabetic rats.

The results are mixed as the human study did not show evidence of increased insulin resistance while the rat studies do. It may be that the human study was not extended long enough to see an increase of IR.

As a type 2 DM I am intimately aware of insulin resistance, most type 1 DMs are not strongly insulin resistant as we T2DMs. There are supplements and drugs that can increase insulin sensitivity as well as regular exercise.

One of the drivers of the dawn phenomenon which often begins around 2 to 3 AM is IR. Are you taking a correction dose of rapid insulin when the spike happens, and does it bring BG down?

You might try reducing your dose of HMB by one capsule, logging both your BG and how you feel, muscle wise. If BG spikes but lower after a week at 2 caps and soreness doesn’t increase, Try another week of only 1 capsule.

What I learned this morning is that there is not enough known about the long term effects of this supplement on humans, much less diabetics. So it’ll be up to a study of one by Sputnikle. Good luck, go slow, record results. I’m on your side even though I am type 2 and a bit younger (4 years)

I only take Alpha Lipic Acid, glucosamine,conddroitin/MSM, collagen types 1&3 and 2 and a multivitamin. None of these seem to affect my BG levels or insulin dosage. This is not to say that is true for all, if there’s one thing I’ve learned about diabetes and diabetics we are all unique in what affects us.

Here are the papers I scanned quickly, please understand that it was a quick and not complete read.

The impact of acute beta-hydroxy-beta-methylbutyrate (HMB) ingestion on glucose and insulin kinetics in young and older men

Dual Effects of Beta-Hydroxy-Beta-Methylbutyrate (HMB) on Amino Acid, Energy, and Protein Metabolism in the Liver and Muscles of Rats with Streptozotocin-Induced Type 1 Diabetes

Beta hydroxy beta methylbutyrate supplementation impairs peripheral insulin sensitivity in healthy sedentary Wistar rats

Thanks, Firenza. I’m doing just that as you suggested . I have to say my first night on G6 was faboulous, not waking a scanning with my libre to get a shock at the high glucose as previous. Fingers crossed re HMB !!

HI Luis3
I read all those reports too and decided it was worth a try. It seems theyve been around in the body building world for years but the reference to elderly and recovering patients caught my eye along with Ensure drinks.Ive tried the alpha lipoic acid but its sitting in a drawer again, it burns for ages when I take one. I don’t have arthritis ( hubby very bad ) but I might check that out as a preventive. I take co-enzyme Q10, vit D, zinc +, MSM gave me regular dreams and something else at the moment.
Thanks heaps for your input, it will give others food for thuoght.
Cheers…Moira

1 Like

About the ALA if I take it right after eating no problem, but if forget and 30 minutes goes by, it causes an acid burn requiring TUMS.