How do you approach your Endo about a Pump?

OK, I feel a little silly, but I’m hesitant about asking my Endo about getting on a pump. I’ve only been diabetic (type 1) since July, and I don’t want to come off as an “annoying” patient. I also feel like I need to have reasons or arguments of why I need the pump. I don’t even know if he will shoot me down, but I feel so intimidated sometimes when I’m in there (especially since last time I saw him, it was a follow-up from a DKA admission).

Any suggestions on what to say, or how to diplomatically ask your doc about trying to start pump therapy? Anyone else get sheepish, during that short 15 minute visit?

Hello,

I have had my pump for almost a year my endo mentioned pump therapy on my first visit. I did the research and came back and said this is what I want and she said OK. She was all for it.
Just tell your doctor you would like to go on the pump if he/she says no or is against pump therapy then you have a bad endo IMO! I would then get a new endo. I don’t think you will be one of those annoying patients for asking to start pumping. It is your life, your body and your health. If the pump helps you better control your diabetes like it does for me then know one not even a doctor should stand in your way. I think most likely they will be more than happy to sign off on it for you.

Don’t be intimidated just go in with confidence and say " I want to start pump therapy how do I get started?" then the ball is in their court which gives them the power to tell you what to do and how to go about it.

Arguments for pumping-
Better bg control
flexibility in eating, when and how much
easier to adjust your basal so you can exercise
Less pain with injections
overall better A1c results
Better lifestyle flexibility

Just don’t take NO for an answer-

Dave

Just be honest. I found that most docs support the pump. Though I warn you, convincing your insurance may be the challenge.

If you want to live a long and happy life with diabetes, you better learn how to be an “annoying” patient as fast as possible if by annoying you mean demanding the latest in effective care!

You are paying the doctor, and a doctor who gets annoyed when you ask about a treatment option is not going to be much help. A good doctor may explain to you why something you’d like to try won’t be a good idea for you in particular, and that’s what makes them worth their pay. But you have a right to demand explanations and a doctor who supports your efforts to get the very best blood sugars possible.

I’ve had quite a few doctors in the past who found me very annoying. I also have a few doctors in the present who tell me I have the best control of any patient in their practice. The two are not unrelated.

Do not be sheepish go in there and ask him how he feels about pumps. If this doctor says no then find a new doctor. You may find it will be more of a problem getting it by the insurance company. I am in the process of appealing to my insurance company. I am a type 2 diabetic and they consider me a controlled diabetic. My numbers range anywhere from the 60s to the 300s in the same day. Keep fighting until they say yes. I know I am not giving up the fight.

I have had many doctors and most of them told me I could not have one (not because they did not support them but I was not mature enough) but my diabetes just kept getting worse and my last doctor in Houston was and is a Tech Geek (every time I saw him he had a new toy that him and his staff were playing with) and I talked with the nurse about it for 2 months before I even asked him about putting me on it. When I did this was the conversation…

Me: Dr. Patel I want a pump. What do you think?
Dr. Patel: Okay I will start the paper work. What pump do you want?
Me: Well I really like the Animas 2020. But I like that the Cozmo has a BG monitor with it. I do not like the Minimed that much but I know we had talked about putting me on a CGMS and that way I can have the pump and the CGMS too.
Dr. Patel: Well lets go talk with our pump trainer (the CDE) and see what she says. (so we went and talked with her and we(not them or me we all did) choose the Minimed.

I we went back to his office and he called Minimed and they got everything started. I had my pump no CGMS :frowning: in like 3 weeks. Then 2 months later I got a Dexcom (because my insurance is stupid) and I have had awesome BG’s (mostly) since.

Yes TRUE! You might want to call your insurance company BEFORE you start the paper work to see if they cover it and which one they cover.

Thanks to everyone for your responses. It sounds like the best thing to do is be honest and direct. The worse he can do is say no. I always get these irrational fears before going to see him for some reason (has to be that darn A1c!).

I’m now also worried about the insurance approval. It’s weird though. I called the insurance co. to see if they covered pumps (might save me from the stress of asking the above question). They cover it under DME at 80%, but here’s the strange part. They have nothing to do with coverage. Apparently the DME Pharmacy that covers all my strips, needles etc… seem to be in charge. She said I would have to find out from them which pumps they cover, then they get the prescription from the Doc and bill the insurance co. Does every insurance handle it that way? They were really easygoing when it came to getting my supplies & my test strips upped to 250 per month. I wonder if that means that pump approval will be easier or harder.

For me when I first mentioned the pump to my doctor he said no, but that was because it was the first time he saw me and didn’t know how close of a watch I kept on my blood sugar. The next time I approached him was but a year after he had saw me. ( I see him every 3 months sometimes more regardless) I went in armed with paperwork about the pump, a list of why I wanted to go on it and the pros and cons on it. We are now in the process of trying to get my insurance to cover it. I do not see an Endo as all the ones I have seen in my area will not listen to me and their nursing staff are a bunch of morons. They refused to tell the Endo my blood sugars weren’t stable after he had changed my insulin so I went back with my GP who is doing a great job. He listens to me and if I want to try a new treatment he is willing to let me try it as I research it all out before I go talk to him about it.

My son’s doc was very conservative about it at first, saying he didn’t need it because of the honeymoon period…However, he was playing tackle football, baseball, swimming, bike riding, hanging with his friends, and soon enough he told the doctor he really wanted it…we decided to do what’s best for him and our family. If he still said no, we were ready to change to UCLA’s doctors who are very ahead of the game with diabetes treatment…your body, your choice, if you want it, demand it.

The reason I started going to an endocrinologist in the first place is that my MD sent me when I asked him for a pump, With no health insurance, I waited until I was on Medicare. Asking an endo for a pump is akin to asking your family physician for a pill.