How do you feel about the adoption in CGM by non-diabetes general population?

We’ve seen an increasing amount of people without diabetes using CGMs, what are your opinions on that?

• I don’t see it as an issue
  • I feel it should not be used outside the diabetes community
  • Was not aware it is happening

0 voters

1 Like

Can you give examples of nondiabetic folks choosing to wear CGM’s? They do it because of all the cool Dexcom ads or they want to be like is cool diabetics or what?

1 Like

Here are some examples:

We are cool, Tim, doncha know?

3 Likes

I think it would be great if enough people used CGMs that it would drive the price down. I do have an issue with it, the same with glucometers being readily available. People use them without enough knowledge trying to self diagnose themselves. The other is body builders who abuse anabolic steroids and insulin. I can diagnose these people, they are sick, in the head.

I have thought that if I were a wealthy man I would fund a study using CGMs on young people who don’t show high BG to see if insulin resistance occurs long before T2DM or prediabetes rears its ugly head.

It would be difficult because they would need to keep a good food log. I don’t know how that could be enforced.

I voted, I don’t see it as an issue, but I have reservations.

3 Likes

I couldnt care less.

4 Likes

They must be really into exercise! What does the Olympic committee think of this if they know about it? I hope it will decrease the cost, but it seems a bit off.

I watched a YouTube episode From Dr. Peter Attia (link below) about using a CGM. He said he’s been wearing a CGM for several years now. During the episode he shows a 24-hour Dexcom CGM trace of his. He’s not diabetic.

We’ve often asked what the blood glucose of non-diabetics looks like. Dr. Attia is not representative of our population as he is well informed and highly motivated. I can only dream of a trace like this. This 24-hour graph averages 90 mg/dL and has a standard deviation of 9 or 10 mg/dL, according to Attia. He said his low of the day was 77 mg/dL and the high was 102 mg/dL. Wow!

You can view his “Ask Me Anything” sneak peek YouTube video. If you want to see the whole thing, there is a membership sign-up and fee involved. This short summary video is free and worth the time.

I have no problem with the non-diabetic interest in monitoring blood glucose via a CGM. I’d like to see knowledge of what healthy glucose levels improve as it will increase the overall knowledge of society. That will help inform how we, as diabetics, are treated.

I’m hoping that Apple will bring out soon an accurate non-invasive glucose sensor as a feature of Apple Health. I have my doubts but if any company can do it, it would be Apple. We shall see!

4 Likes

People are certainly welcome to use a cgm, but I think overall it’s a waste of their money if they’re doing it long term. I could see some short term potential benefits in that you could learn which foods, if any, cause spikes. Though it seems like a very small subset of the population would benefit from knowing this.

I’ve listened to one of Peter Attia’s podcasts on this, and I think he’s a total extremist about it.

I don’t think that line is “normal” at all. It is always beneficial to eat healthy, but people without diabetes are generally equipped to handle healthy foods. I can’t imagine the benefits being worth the effort in this case. Brief spikes up to 120-140 are “healthy.” I’ve yet to see any proof otherwise.

I’d happily trade in my diabetes to not have to wear a cgm and frankly think it’s totally bonkers that people are willingly subjecting themselves to this long term.

12 Likes

What @katers87 said!!!

4 Likes

Absolutely ridiculous. It is a prescription medical device with a proper medical necessity and indication.

That’s like asking if I approve of people who don’t need dialysis doing it anyway.

Not only is it absurd, inappropriate, and unethical, it’s also giving the resources to people who don’t need them likely often at the expense of those who do.

Maybe I should get a pacemaker just for the hell of it, or an ostomy

3 Likes

If the CGM becomes a ubiquitous product, there will be far more options. So yeah advertise away.

4 Likes

There are a few non medically approved cgm for people who just want to jump on the next fad, like the Apple Watch has promised. I doubt that will be of any use to diabetics tho

I guess it kinda bugs me (and probably a lot of us or it wouldn’t be a question), but I’m not sure it’s a rational objection or just some weird territorialism. When I meet other T1s, I have a strong feeling of connection—another member of The Tribe, as a lot of us actually say (as opposed to “The Club” but the first time I had another T1 correct that to “Tribe” I felt like that was the better term). Well tribalism can be irrational, but it can also reflect something real. I was checking my Dexcom in an elevator once, and the other occupant recognized it and said “My kid has one of those.” Ended up having a whole convo about it. How would that have felt if it was, “Yeah, great way to make sure I’m losing weight on this new diet!” If I was the other guy, I would have shut down.

Here’s an analogy: if you were paraplegic or wheelchair bound, how would you feel about people choosing to use a wheelchair just for convenience, if that was a thing. The closest I can come to rationalizing the feeling is that for me this is a life-or-death thing, not just some health kick. For a long time I lived year-round on Cape Cod. I never sported one of those “I live here and I don’t give directions” bumper stickers, but the feeling is kinda like that.

I’ve coined an acronym for it: BGT: Blood Glucose Tourism.

2 Likes

Some people with T1 have BG curves like Attia’s. See type 1 grit.

1 Like

People can choose to do what they want, but if I were a healthy non diabetic, I hope I would have more interesting things to do with my precious time and money than to attach myself to a CGM. Hopefully I could live a life which wasn’t so focused on myself.

8 Likes

I agree with you Marilyn. I also think it’s a fad.

Just like many user friendly technology/ medical devices, we should all have equal access to safe enough devices that are for the public use.it does help lower cost. doctors can still prescribe as necessary.many get diagnosed after they have had “ proof “ of out of control BG.or they could have a less common type which many doctors not familiar.or unfortunately they just don’t believe you.

I personally have family history of both type 1 and 2. I know there are other types. Despite really taking care of myself and eating well my BG can be really crazy so my endo wanted me to start using one device.my favorite for me is the freestyle 14. I can use my phone to scan also.I can add finger stick and food intake.

Everyone is different so it helps all types of people to even prevent or delay certain diabetes and other disease by proving what foods,exercise… are doing.some people tolerate certain amounts of food intake.my sister and I are very different but share so many genes lol.I need higher carb intake than she does.if I eat too much protein it makes me sick and lowers my BG too much.

For me personally over a decade ago a doctor said get one of those meters I had no idea except I think at the time to do with a needle?! I was not going to be able to stick my finger let alone as many times I was having lows. At the time I didn’t know the highs I was having. didn’t seem to bother me as much.
I was clueless…now I have so much more knowledge.

4 Likes

A recent study of American adults only found 12.2% in optimal metabolic health. The criteria used to make this determination involved blood pressure, blood glucose, blood lipids (triglycerides and HDL), and waist to height ratio.

I’m sure you’re aware of the exploding incidence of diabetes in our modern society. It’s the pandemic that is not getting the news coverage.

We, of course, do not make that cut in the referenced study due to our diabetes. I get that, for us, this is a life or death situation. We should not dismiss, however, the motivation that non-diabetics hold to make improvements in their health.

Those of us who use the continuous monitor know the tremendous benefit of following our CGM data stream. For us, it is essential to not only our health but our safety. But we shouldn’t attribute to whim the interest that people without diabetes are starting to view CGMs.

Striving for better health, whether that be losing a few pounds, exercising more, and emphasizing sleep are good for people. As people start to realize what they can learn about their own blood glucose rhythms and how they might alter their behavior to improve their health is not some light-weight or trivial goal. We should celebrate and encourage those who seek this knowledge and desire to improve their health. They are not in the same life or death everyday struggle that we face but their stakes are significant.

By the way, I posted that 24-hour trace above because it showed me just how exquisitely the healthy non-diabetic glucose system can control blood glucose. I am in awe of it! It is a testament to what evolution values.

I recognize that it is not an ideal I can expect to reach, but it is the reaching that I value. Stretching for that ideal has produced some amazing metabolic gains in my life.

I know I am still a T1D and will never reverse this condition. But that realization must be put in due perspective. I guess it’s the glass half-full or half-empty philosophical choice.

Others may see this CGM trace as an irritating taunt, impossible for us to attain, so why even be bothered? I don’t view it that way.

3 Likes

I agree diabetes is more prevalent for many reasons and also many people go undiagnosed…

Over the counter BG meters would still be prescription if we didn’t make them more accessible especially to those who can’t afford healthcare.

2 Likes