How do you know how much novolg to take depending on blood sugar levels

Hello everyone.Im new here and I need some help controlling my sugar levels.My doc just prescribed novolog to me.Im not sure how much insuline I should take.My doc just makes it sound so complicated,please help

It’s a different amount for each individual. I take one unit rapid insulin to drop my blg’s 1 mmol (18 points for US). There is really good information at http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes_control_tips/carb_factor.php where you can find calculators to figure out your dosage. If you are new to insulin, however, I would strongly recommend you work with your doctor and/or diabetes educator to work out what you need to take to lower your sugars.

Ben,
My doctor gave me a sliding scale with a base that I start with. I am taking 5 units of Novolog as a base pre-meal with a sliding scale for correction over my target range of 70 - 120. so if my blood sugar is 125. I take my base of 5 units and then I look at my correction chart. for me that would be +1 more unit of Novolog. Your case may be different. I wrote out my chart in the beginning and kept it with my glucose meter. If I were you I would get better guidelines from your Doctor and if he needs to write it out for you have him do that.
Ron

what is your understanding of what your doctor instructed?

I base my insulin on the carb count of what I am eating and what my blood sugar is before I eat. Of course I have been on insulin quite a while and I have learned to read my body. Like right now I take 1 unit of insulin for every 15 grams of carbs I eat. As for correction 1 unit of insulin will drop my blood sugar 25 points. So say I am 150, I would take 1 unit which ideally should bring me down to 125. Are you seeing an endo or a GP? If you are not seeing an endo I would ask for a referral to one.