How do you know you are having a low blood sugar event?

Just trying to get a sense for your range, so forgive the endless questions. So it sounds like you test preprandial and postprandial BG, that’s great! are you testing once after a meal or twice (60 minutes and 120 minutes, or 90 and 120, or just 1 or 2 hours after)? Do you have an average postprandial level or do different meals typically give you different results?

I’m type1 but I think the symptoms are the same, pounding heart, shaky hands, growling stomach. Sometimes I feel low and it’s still 100 but I think it’s because I’m still dropping and/or dropping rapidly. I treat below 70 but 4 tabs make me too high so I have to be careful. Your weight loss diet sounds good, slow but sure. I’m rooting for you!

The way I can tell if I’m having a low is if I wake up not wanting to face the world and I’m extremely sleepy and WEAK! Once I do roll out of bed, my legs are so wobbly, I’m walking looped leg. I feel so shaky. It takes a while to get m blood sugar up. The lowest I have had in the morning was a 47. Now that was scarry!!!

Well I keep saying 100 lbs in two years. Thats what the doc wants.

But in reality I don’t think I have a chance of making it. Well maybe a chance. Its just seems unrealistic.

But a pound a week (which amounts to the same thing if I can keep at it), is something I can do. So far anyway. 7 lbs 7 weeks. So I may get to 100 lbs, a week at a time.

Jeff, it’s different every time for me. A sharp drop is a much different kind of low than a sustained 50-60. Also, like some people have mentioned, the change (drop) in bgl can feel very much like a low with shakes, sweats, and other assorted gitchyness without actually entering the danger zone.

I find that I notice physical symptoms much more with quick lows (usually from a faulty insulin dose), including shakiness, loss of limb control (in severe cases), blurred vision, cold sweats, etc. I notice more mental symptoms (like repeating movements, twitchyness, strange logic loops, silliness, irrational thoughts, etc.) with sustained lows in the 50-60 range.

Recovery for the quick lows is also easier… if my legs go out that’s one thing- 10 minutes and it’s back to normal. If I get all kinds of strange in front of my boss… that’s another situation entirely :slight_smile:

I hang in for about 40 minutes, and then comes the hardest part, the simultaneous nausea and, well, everything else. After 5 mintes of that I am pretty worn out and dehydrated. So I sip some water and go back to bed.

My meter just averages everything. I would need to look at the data and parce it all out, which I haven’t done.

But my experience is that before meals I run about 130 to 150 and after meals its 140 to 175 or something.

Now last night was the first night without a problem in the last three nights. It was great.

A guy can hope. :slight_smile:

Oreos might be a good treatment for depression. Especially if you are depressed that you can’t eat oreos anymore.

That helps explain a lot. If most of the time your BG is above 130, then when you dip 100<, your body is possibly going to feel this as a low. I think i recall from a older post that you take metformin in the evening which might account for why your BG continues to drop in the evening (as well it could just be your metabolism).

A couple things that might help. You could try to get your fasting numbers down around the 100 range by changing up your diet. I don’t what your options are (insurance etc) but a good diabetes educator or dietitian can help you there. With your fasting numbers down, your overall numbers should come down with a consistent diet.

You might also find that over time you become “hypo unaware” of theses lows. Understanding they are not true lows, your body may just adjust to them over time. You overall numbers are a little on the high side, particularly the fasting numbers so working on bringing that down a little would help help with things overall.