How has diabetes impacted your life?

Hey gerat idea! My daughter is suppost to come home tonight and she can take the piture ond put it on the computer. Thanks!

OK Manny, My daughter tried to out the pic on this page but it wound up on my page. Don’t know how she does it and won’t even try but if ppl want to see my pic that’s whrere it’s at.

Determination
9181-Hand.doc (114 KB)

I am a survivor of melanoma and made a huge effort to live a healthier lifestyle with more exercise, better nutrition etc. but developing diabetes actually makes it easier for me to do those things. When I eat right, reduce my stress with yoga or meditation and get lots of exercise I feel so much better. So I think getting diabetes might have really improved my life! In the realm of chronic and serious conditions, diabetes gives you the most opportunity to control the outcome. There is direct and immediate feedback for making the right choices.

Dear Friends:
We can continue to participate in “Inspired By Diabetes” as a Community.

I just got word about this:

Inspired by Diabetes contest has been extended!
The deadline for submissions is now March 31, 2008.

Check out the website for more information at: www.inspiredbydiabetes.com.

Getting the diagnosis of diabetes has actually saved my life. I thought I was doing a pretty fair job of taking care of myself. I learned diffierently. Now, I know I am doing a really good job of taking care of me. I am a better person for the decisons I make, a better wife, mother, grandmother, sister, friend. My son (a type 1) has taught me the healing touch of being able to laugh at ourselves. Each day is a beautiful treasure that we will have only one time. Everything is more precious to me now. I have learned how important it is to be as patient as you can be and to tell and show people how much you love them. I have learned more about appreciating all of the chances we are given. I have learned not to be so busy rushing through life that we miss so much of the beauty along the way. Thank you Manny for letting us talk about this. Thank you for Tu diabetes and for all the people on here who offer so many kindnesses and so much caring. Life is fragile It woluld have been such a shame to have missed so many wonderful people…
Having diabetes wakes a person up and gives you the chance to change your life.

Diabetes touches my life every day, not only in dealing with my own diabetes but also meeting others every day who deal with their own diabetes.
I was blessed to be diagnosed with Type 1 almost 23 years ago. I didn’t realize then what a blessing this disease could really be for me. I realize it now with the new people I meet every day They inspire me to be a better person and a better diabetic. The people I have met so far that live with this disease have inspired me to start a support group, to get involved in my community and to embrace my diabetes instead of fight it.
My grandmother told me recently that she knew that one day she would understand why I was chosen by God to develop diabetes. This day came right before Christmas while I was telling her about our support group’s Christmas party. We have a very special couple in our group. The wife cares for her diabetic husband who is in renal failure. He had just had his dialysis earlier that day but still wanted to come to our party. He has such a wonderful spirit and smile! It was so nice to hear that it meant so much to the wife for them to just be able to get out of the house and enjoy themselves. This is why I do what I do every day for other diabetics. My grandmother told me this is why God chose me and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

My word is Blessed…
9180-blessed.jpg (19.4 KB)

I'm still realizing how being diabetic has and continually changes me... it's made me realize I'm VERY stubborn and reluctant to change (like what I eat really does affect what my BG is!!). Exercise is necessary and does make a difference. It's a very difficult and frustrating disease and I'm still trying to grasp reality and get with the program. Hoping this site and these awesome people will help!

Hello Founder Manny:

Thank you for your site!

This is like asking the Zebra about his/her stripes, and how their stripes have impacted their lives! How can we know this answer if we have been a “zebra” a very long time…?

Stuart (a tired Zebra)