How has Medtronic CGM setup improved over last 7 years?

A while back minimed gave me one of their first gen CGM units to use with my paradigm 522. I did not make it through 6 weeks of the CGM as it was way to awkward to setup (took forever to saturate, calibrate and what not), hurt like heck no matter where I inserted and then nagged me 24 hrs a day. Needless to say I never even re-filled an order for CGM supplies and am quite happy without using one. However I know that the pump will only last so long and I love the fact that I can use up to 3 BD glucose meters that use the smallest sample around. I know the mew minimed systems can only sync with one meter which makes it a pain to have to transfer meter back and forth to work. So how are the new CGM setups, as it looks like there are almost no other choices in near future?

FYI, the Contour Next used with the MM pump uses a tiny sample and draws it in quickly and reliably, compared to many of the other meters I’ve used and that is a TON of them.

What I don’t like about the Next is the screen–near impossible to see in bright sunlight.

Thanks Pheonix, that is good to know if I do end up with new pump/meter to bad they won’t let it connect with more than one…

1 Like

well, in the near future (i am not sure how much we can trust the FDA) but they said that in 2016 the new minimed 640G should also be available in the US. the 640G is an awesome pump with auto shut off and auto resume when the pump sees you are going hypo. also, the sensors should have improved accuracy MASSIVELY. i guess the newer sensors should also not be such a pain in the ■■■ when changing.
so keep your fingers crossed!

have you got some info regarding the “improved accuracy MASSIVELY”? thx. I tried to get in on the trials in December but was told the trials were delayed. I told them to keep my number handy and give me a call. I haven’t heard squat.

I remember back in october of last year, they had me come in about the new mm cgm, to show me the new one, and then come back, and give my advice. when I was there the first day, they had a 640g sitting next it. that looked so different but cool. of course they didn’t say a word about it to me.just the pump, but all about the cgm. It is soooo much better. it goes straight in, good stick and a cover tape. So you don’t lose it, and it also lasts 6 days not 7 I think they do 6 because of the pump, changing every 2 to 3 days. so it had to be an even number (haha).
I just don’t know why they called me about it, I don’t have a cgm (I wish, I wish, I wish)
I will get a new pump next year and I also hope it is that 640a. it kicks )%U& over the 723 I have. I know you probably know this but the 640g you can see at the mm website in Australia, I think it is https://www.medtronic-diabetes.com.au/ I’m sure you already know that, but oh well.

well, i can only tell you that i had accuracy problems with the earlier versions of the MM sensor. now the new guardian seems to be accurate, about as accurate as a dexcom.
i cannot tell you any numbers, but many bloggers who had the possibility to try it out report results where the fingerstick and the number showed on the pump basically match almost to the point.
thats all i can say, and for me it is a massive improvement. example:

from Brent Salzmann in Australia

i will have the possibility to try it out very soon, so look for updates on this thread:

There is no comparison between the Soft Sensor and the Enlite…they insert differently and the Enlite is tinny in comparison to the huge spike needle used on the Soft-sensor. Accuracy is more reliable and the Enlite keeps up with changing BG better. My readings are very close to my meter Day and night, I do not have flat line readings at night, the Enlite tracks my BG at night. This is my first finger stick of the morning.

That is what I wanted to hear JohnG, not as painful,(I remember the needle looking/feeling more like an animal hypodermic, is insert to use time any better?

Here it is again and you can see that it is tracking my BG

This is my second finger stick

How long from CGM insert to useable?

I am using the Abbott Libre for a while now. The footprint of the sensor is really small in comparison to the other sensors (4mm thin and 4cm in diameter). This is due to the fact that this system is not communicating all the time between sensor and receiver. First the sensor will collect all the data. Then the receiver will collect this data after swiping it over the sensor. The sensor lasts for 14 days and bathing, showering and swimming with it is working fine. Now most will likely complain that the system can not actively warn about lows or highs. To me - I am on MDI - this is actually an advantage and good for the peace of mind. It does not drive you crazy with false alarms. Still you can see the full picture and negative developments like overslept lows at night. To have a glucose number when you need it - that is the point to me. Without any blood, without any hassle, with a very comfortable sensor, with high reliability and with a very attractive pricing: €59 per receiver and €59 per 14 day sensor.

2 hours for the “WARM UP” to finish and the first BG METER NOW alert to show up, of course. Same as it ever were.

If you’re asking about how long to “saturate” or “marinate”, the answer is Don’t Do THAT!

With the Sof-Sensor a number of folks would insert the sensor at night and then connect the transmitter the next morning. Medtronic specifically advises against doing that with the Enlite. For the Enlite, they want people to connect the charged transmitter as soon as possible/practical after inserting the sensor.

If you’re asking how long until the accuracy is good … beats the heck out of me. There is still too much individual variation among individual users IMO.

1 Like

I have had several Enlites go for 12 days with accurate numbers. Half an hour ago, I restarted my Enlite after 6 days. Most of the time this sensor is within a few points of the meter. I never remove an accurate sensor no matter how many days, until it fails. I’ve had a number of sensors that were worthless and they were replaced by MM.

1 Like

Thanks Irrational John, that is exactly the info I was looking for. It’s been more than a handful of years since I even looked at the CGM because of the time it all takes to get everything up and working. I can change an infusion set in 5 minutes and be off to work but did not have 2 hrs to get all that going. Still don’t, someday there will be sensors that just get inserted and start working then I’ll give them another try. I do not really have a problem controlling with just glucose meter and 8-10 finger pricks a day, so the CGM is more of a burden to me than not at this point.

I wear my sensors for 12 days and then do the switch…sometimes they would probably go for additional days but I like to stay on a reliable schedule, one I can count on. I used to wear my soft-sensors for a reliable 6 days so the Enlite is giving me double the wear time. One other thing to consider is OP cost, and the Enlite has the highest cost per day of use…but for now my insurance is good so my financial responsibility is low (real yearly OP expense, is about $2.00 a day). If I had to pay most of the cost I would switch to the Dex, it’s less convenient and the software does not even come close to Medtronic’s CareLink but the Dex seems run a few more days and each sensor costs less, so my OP would be less…JMHO

1 Like

Yeah the cost of Enlites is quite high and so much more than the Soft Sensors (not that they, IMO, were worth a darn! :slight_smile: ) I pay 20% of the nearly $100 per unit cost so IF I get 12 days, I’m paying ROUGHLY 20/12 = $1.66. Given that MM replaces sensors that fail for any reason (even if they fell out), prior to 6 days, as long as they havent reached expiration date, my cost will fluctuate between $1.66/ day and a bit more because anytime I wear a sensor for a couple of days, it fails, and I get a replacement, I can expect that I’m essentially paying for sensors at the rate no more than $20 for an average of 8 days use and more likely no more than $20 for an overall average of about every 10 days so I’m also at around $2 a day. When I have to go on medicare, than the cost will be terrible.

My ISIG values usually peter out on the very best of sensors by the end of day 12. I have never completed day 13.

I had pretty decent results with Sof-Sensors, as my A1C went down from 5.8 to 5.2-5.4 although I agree the needles were pretty nutso. When I got the Enlites, I found them to be more accurate however I also switched to the Bayer Meter (the doc seemed to think that it would work better with insurance however I haven’t noticed a difference…) and also adjusted my basals to fake a .7875U/ hour with 1/2 hour of .8 and 1/2 hour of .775. Since then my A1Cs have nudged down a shade, 5.0 or 5.1. I find the Enlites to be very accurate, within +/- 5-10 points most of the time, or what seems like normal “drift” and then maybe a shade more off when they are moving a bit more. Still, I’ve been very satisfied. I love having all the junk in one unit. I’m a total airhead and would be forgetting the Dexcom all over the place…

Thanks for the bit about 12 days. I kinda figured that, but when they showed it, they spoke very much about the battery charging. 12 to me is more logical. Like the pump they say every 2-3 days, and my endo says every 4-5. I like your logic.