How many of you actually have a Glucagon kit?

Haha i won’t be hiking much, just staying at a cabin for a night near a waterfall that is only like a half-mile from the house. After that i’ll be on to two cities for the rest of the trip.

1 Like

Nope. T1 for a long time, but the one time I was injected, I was sick for days. It’s not worth it. Have your helper try gel icing, juice, just not that.

Call 911.

I have many expired Glucagon kits, does that count??!!!??

Last one I got, was before a trip to China. I had many hypos in China (my wife’s idea of family fun is hiking up miles of steep steps to Buddhist temples on tops of mountains in central China) but chewed my way through glucose tablets to treat, never used the kit there myself!

When I was a kid the docs always made sure my family had glucagon kits. It was standard issue and they sent me home from the hospital with insulin, urine strips, and a glucagon kit. But I only got the prescription a few years ago when I asked the doc for one. He had no problem writing it and insurance covered it.

Usually when I’ve had ER or ambulance calls for hypos in the US, they gave me a glucose IV. But once they gave me glucagon (it was the EMT’s standard glucagon kit, not my own). I’m grateful it saved my life BUT I was sick sick sick completely nauseous and throwing up the whole day afterwards.

1 Like

Gosh, I don’t have one. I’ve thought it might not be a bad idea, I just have never pursued it and my endo who is also a type 1 has never mentioned I should have one. I don’t know if she just assumed I had one or??? But I keep crystallized ginger which is in a pure sugar base in my purse and by my bedside, apple or orange juice by the bed which I do use off and on. But knock on wood I have never been incapacitated yet, a total mess sometimes but I have never lost consciousness.

I have a dog now that’s a diabetic and I was told on the sites for dog diabetes to get corn syrup to rub on her cheek if needed, as it’s supposedly absorbs in the mouth and doesn’t have to be swallowed. Hopefully I never have to find out how well it works.

1 Like

One at the school office, one at home and one in sports duffel bag for away games. We use the expired ones to train others eg. School staff, coach etc.

2 Likes

I don’t have one, but I think of it as a tool for your non-diabetic friends. If they could use it, then you might as well bring one along. Funny things happen while traveling.

I have one, but it usually expires. I do not like glucagon based on a single experience with it over 6 years ago. After a long bike ride, I went low while taking a nap, and I refused the food my family was trying to shove down my mouth. My wife gave me glucagon. That put me in the ER, because it induced vomiting. My vision was blurry for two days after this. I keep it around as a last resort to save my life, but I don’t have to like it. I have seen NPs give this out to patients who are awake and eating. It bothers me for personal and professional reasons, but I sure hope my reaction is unique.

That would seem odd. One wonders what the medical rationale was.

If nothing else from a Hospital cost perspective, I would imagine that Jello is a little cheaper than Glucagon.

2 Likes

But the hospital can charge $100s for it.

ha ha ha - Perhaps you have a point there.
:stuck_out_tongue:

Good question. I’m not an endocrinologist and mine thought the visual stuff was weird too. It does cause vasodilation, and I’m guessing that had something to do with my experience.

I had one prescribed soon after I was diagnosed Type 1 and it was mostly covered by insurance. I learned later to request that Dr. prescribe more than one for home, office, etc… all covered with a lower copay for me. If I ordered one later, much more expensive. Considered standard by my Endo. I’d certainly recommend having at least 2.

I have one…long expired and I am not sure of the actual shelf life (you know they put expiration dates way early to get you to buy more). I actually have had to have someone use it on me once, so I know I need to get more. It is always good to have. If you are unconscious juice and food is not going to help.

This is probably a dumb question, but…do you mean on the side of the cheek inside the mouth? This sounds like a similar treatment to the glucose gels. In lieu of glucagon we’ve been advised to carry glucose gels to rub bt the cheek and gums. This has been part of Caleb’s protocol, prior to administering glucagon in a school setting. Although staff are trained in glucagon, it’s tricky, and as mentioned above has side effects. We’ve fortunately never had to use either in an emergency situation. We did use a mini-glucagon shot for a stomach big once though and I would do it again. Having a corn syrup trick in the arsenal, particularly for sick days, is nifty.

1 Like

I don’t think so. I’m under the impression this is fairly common if injecting glucagon in the manner we are typically trained - fill syringe and plunge!

I have two, one in my purse and the other by my bed. My endo told me to have them when I got out of dka and rxs them every year. Chances are you wont need it but it could save your life if you do. I hope a more stable version will be available soon. He also rx zofran for me for nauseau. I have used the zofran twice when close to dka with severe nauseau and ketones.

Have you seen this thread? I, for one, am very excited about a glucagon autoinjector and hope it’s available in the near future. I don’t currently carry glucagon around on a daily basis because there’s no one who would use it, but I’d carry an autoinjector around daily.

1 Like

Sounds great Jen! I hope I can get one. Yes I think my idea is someone may be able to figure it out or know about it or I can use it myself if I realize I’m in trouble and I’m not responding to sugar etc.

@ Lorraine, Yes, the dog diabetic sites say to use corn syrup if your dog is low and rub it on the inside of the cheek as it absorbs through the mucus membranes of the mouth and doesn’t need to go through the stomach. It is recommended on a few different sites, however I haven’t been able to find out information if it is actually true about it’s absorption , but a few people have left feedback on sites that it worked so I would assume there is something to it. And it did remind me of rubbing glucose gel on the inside of the cheek.

1 Like

I had 1, it expired, and I now have my second glucagon kit, but I’ve never had to use either. I’m an avid camper and hiker, and think it’s a good idea to have in an emergency.