How sustainable is a low carb diet

i’m going look all of them up, @Vancouversailor thanks for the list,.

As part of the buyer beware policy that has to be a high priority fir anyone searching the internet for healthy products, my alarmbells went off when I stumbled across Dreamfield “low carb pasta”.
Low carb pasta? That sounds like “low fat chicken legs” or “low sugar candy bars”.
And yes, anyone else considering buying this product might want to check out the information at this link:

thanks, for telling us,.

Thanks for sharing. I’m new to this site. I’m trying to get below 50 grams of carbs per day, and was wondering what a typical day looks like for you with your meals and snacks. Would you mind sharing that?

Can you give me an idea of what a typical eating day looks like for you?

Hi, @Lisa68. I only eat two meals each day, a late breakfast and an early dinner. I usually eat eggs and bacon or sausage with one half slice of toast for breakfast. I drink coffee with full fat cream. I could trade the 1/2 piece of toast for a serving of raspberries or blueberries. For dinner I can eat a hamburger without the bun, along with a slice or two of tomato and perhaps some grilled onions. I’ll often add a serving of veggies like steamed broccoli or cauliflower with butter on top. I add ketchup and mustard to the hamburger, too. I’ll add cheese to this as well.

I’ll also eat fish, steak, pork chops, and chicken as my other main dishes. I sometimes eat eggs for dinner as well. Salads with steak or chicken work out well, too.

My main snack is mixed nuts. The nuts are pecans, cashews, Brazil nuts. almonds, and macadamias. I try to limit that to 1-2 ounces.

I like Mexican food as well. I limit beans to 1/2 cup and avoid the rice. I do like to eat 1 or 2 small corn tortillas. Avocados and guacamole are great low carb treats.

There’s a lot you can eat while limiting carbs. I’m not very imaginative and I could seek out more variety. I’m not much of a foodie when it comes to preparation. Good luck. It’s a very sustainable way of eating. Eating out is easy.

Google “low carb dietitian.” Fanziska Spritzler has a lot of great ideas.

Thanks for sharing! I might try the 2 meals a day like you do, at least on the weekends, and see how that goes. :smiley:

Sure…
During the work week I usually do cottage cheese mixed with salsa for breakfast or an omelet with bacon/ham/cheese/onion or some variation. I only do the omelet once in a while though because I really like cottage cheese.

For lunch usually a leafy salad like spinach with some kind of protein and a sprinkle of sunflower seeds or a broth/soup. If there is rice or noodles in the soup I will eat around it. Or I do steamed shrimp with whatever sauce like cocktail sauce as a dip and a side salad. I will sometimes add tuna fish to my salad too.

My dinners vary from items I make like “ham cups” which are ham slices draped into a cupcake tin then layered with a little pesto, cheese and an egg. I will usually eat three of those and add some veggies like carrots dipped in hummus which I only do maybe 2 tablespoons or so. I don’t measure, just eyeball it. Or I will eat a sandwich made from low carb bread or bagels, deli meat and full fat mayo or cream cheese. Sometimes I eat those Atkins frozen meals. I did find Mission flour tortillas at 6g carbs per and I will put a little refried black beans (only the black beans), sour cream, salsa and cheese to make it like a small Taco Bell bean burrito (used to love those). Some weekends I make low carb chili or stews or a low carb bread and throw bacon or something in the bread.

I do try to add complex carbs throughout the day here and there. Not a lot but a like a few peanuts, or a tablespoon of peanut butter or extra sunflower seeds in the salads or even pistachios. As a treat, I figured out popcorn has only a minor impact on my blood sugar so sometimes I have a minor splurge day and do cheese or butter popcorn.

I do try to keep serving sizes down because nowadays both carbs and calories impact my weight.

The first time I tried a low-carb diet I lasted two days. I tried again a couple of years later, and I’ve been successfully low-carbing for over 17 years. The difference was that I spent several months tapering down my carbs and increasing my protein and fat intake, prior to fully taking the low carb plunge.

I only counted carbs for the first few months. After that, I knew what foods I could eat and what foods I couldn’t. On average I probably consume 30 to 50 grams of carbs per day. I doubt that I have had even a single day of consuming 100 grams of carbs in the last 17 years.

You asked if this was sustainable. There can be a variety of answers to this question. When you start a low-carb diet, you will lose a certain amount of weight, then the weight loss will stop. You can sustain this lower weight, but it takes a lot of work to go below that level. On the other hand, the benefits as far as blood sugar levels continues indefinitely. When I first started low carb, I have been taking Rezulin and eating everything that I wanted to. I had an A1C of 8.4. Within a few months of starting low-carb my A1C fell to 5.5, and several months after that I was able to get it below 5.0. Since then my A1C has been running in the 5.0 to 5.4 range.

Not everyone can sustain a low-carb diet, but those people interested in preserving their heart, kidneys and eyes, and those people wishing to avoid amputation have a strong incentive to give this a real try. Think about it this way. If someone said to you that you can have all the variety you want in the food you eat, but there is a good chance that in 15 years your foot would be amputated, or you can have limited variety of very tasty foods and you get to keep all your body parts for the rest of your life, what would you choose? Most people choose the amputation option without even realizing that is what they are doing. Is that what you want to choose?

The first few weeks are the most difficult. The easiest way to sustain it is to be strict about the foods you eat. For over 17 years I haven’t had any bread, rice, corn, potatoes, pasta, cakes, cookies, breakfast cereal, or fruit. I have had lots of meat, cheese, butter, cream, low-carb vegetables, fish, nuts, and many other tasty low-carb foods. If I tried to limit myself to one slice of bread per day I think it would be much more difficult. Think about how difficult it is for someone to only smoke one cigarette per day. It’s just easier to avoid carb-laden foods completely. To me, low-carb is sustainable because you don’t have to be hungry. The lack of variety actually helps you eat less, although there are a huge number of variations of low-carb recipes that you can prepare if variety is really important to you.

If you haven’t read the Bernstein book (Dr. Bernstein’s Diabetes Solution) I encourage you to do so at the earliest opportunity.

Diabetes can be viewed in some ways as an incremental disease. The negative effects of hyperglycemia can take years to pile up and finally emerge as a significant secondary complication. Human psychology and motivation are certainly at play here. People can think, “If high blood glucose doesn’t hurt me right away then perhaps I can enjoy life in the time being and let the future take care of itself.”

Taking action now using long-term thinking can be accomplished but many people don’t or won’t think that way. I think the medical establishment in the US could do much better supporting lower carb eating as a viable tool for diabetes. In 2015 a large diabetes charity in the UK, Diabetes UK, rolled out a Low Carb Program. There has been much debate and discussion about the value of using a low carb way of eating for long-term diabetes health. At least they are openly talking about it and actually experimenting in a more public way than in the US.

I am in no way advocating going full Keto, I could never, but if you buy a Keto cookbook, you’ll find a lot of acceptable substitutes for things you like, but with few or no carbs. Somewhere between the ADA recommendation and Keto lies my sweet spot.

Every morning I have an Oikos Triple Zero with my meds, then an hour later I eat 1 egg and 1 slice of cheese on 1 slice of toasted sprouted grain bread. 2 hrs later I check my bg, and then eat an apple or a banana. I try to get a brisk walk in, then eat a salad with grilled chicken and oil/vinegar. 2 hrs later I check my bg and eat an apple/banana. an hour after that I eat 15 grams of carbs worth of something whole wheat, like crackers. For dinner I eat 4 oz of protien (chicken, fish, steak), 1 cup of non-starchy veggies, and 1/3 cup of some grain like quinoa or millet. Sometimes I’ll have a little Halotop after that.

Sounds pretty boring right?

So sometimes I open up the Keto book and ask my wife to make me a fathead pepperoni pizza, or some keto chocolate chip cookies, or whatever, and if you sprinkle enough of that stuff in, at least for me, I’ve done a pretty good job of keeping my t2 in check.

I will add, I take Januvia 1x and 1000mg of Met 2x, so low carb and exercise alone hasn’t done it for me yet but Ima keep at it…

Good luck all!

Thanks!
MC

Sounds like you have a plan and that equals success. It also sounds very similar to my routine except I can’t handle the fruit. Too much for me – but then, that’s me. I also do the occasional sprinkle of variety off the regular routine and it takes care of life.

I don’t think you are boring at all. I think you are doing a great job.
Keep up the plan!! Take care of you!!

I will have to find a good Keto cook book! Amazon here I come! :slight_smile:

I bought and have used The Everyday Ketogenic Kitchen by Carolyn Ketchum. I cooked about six or so of the recipes so far. They’re tasty, nutritious, and relatively simple. I am a reluctant late in life cook. I eat low carb, high fat.

I’ve been eating low carb for 10 years now.

I’ve been stricter the last 18 months because I (and some friends) founded a ketogenic support group in my city, and as an admin / founder of the group, I feel I should be setting an example.

I eat meats of all types, veges and non-sweet fruits, nuts, seeds, and full fat dairy. I enjoy quality wines and the occasional shot of spirits. I cheat every now and then with a beer because 1) I enjoy it, and 2) It doesn’t seem to have much impact on my blood sugar (even if it’s not keto).

Last night’s dinner was frozen spinach and Brussel sprouts cooked with bacon and coconut cream.

I made peanut and almond flour chocolate cookies for my low carb kids this morning. They went down a rare treat, and I came back from grocery shopping to find them half gone.

I also make myself a big batch of low carb seeds crackers from time to time (whatever seeds on hand, binded with flax seed meal, chia and psyllium baked long and slow until crispy),… These are just delectable with toppings. They are certainly going to hit my Aussie vegemite and crackers spot. I had some for breakfast topped with avocado and sardines, and with a side of brewed coffee.

Keto / low carb eating is delicious and healthy. We are limited only by our imagination.

The ketogroup I help moderate is changing lives, immensely. We are up to 5000+ members as of a few weeks ago, in just over a year since we were established. We’ve had people reverse diabetes, ie. A1c of 12 down to < 5.0. More than one case. Massive weight loss for some, more than 200 lbs and counting for some… imagine, they go from 300+ lbs to 150 lbs. Totally normal, while eating and not being hungry. Massive positive health changes. Not just for diabetes, but for autoimmune conditions, fertility, cardiac, kidney cases… I live in Philippines. So many people here can’t afford medical care; but everyone has to eat. We have a very big number of doctors now in our group, so I am optimistic for positive change.

I was contacted a few days ago by the sister of one gentleman who had just had his toe amputated (his third amputation). She told me his blood sugar was usually in the 300 - 400 range (that’s another story, indeed, about the terrible standard of care people receive here), and asked if keto was safe for him. I replied it was, and she’s been bringing him food in hospital. By day 3 of eating low carb, his sugar levels were all below 150! His doctor was amazed, but then told him keto is not suitable for him. The ignorance! What is unhealthy about eating meats and veges, and avoiding sugar, grains and processed foods! Fortunately, he has decided to let the results of this way of eating guide him and he won’t be returning to his previous way of eating (i’m mentoring his sister for the past 8 months, and she will be a great support for him).

We promote the keto approach which is low carb, moderate protein, and fat depending on energy / weight loss and other health parameters (this approach is pioneered by the Ketogains group). We encourage abundant vegetable intake from those allowed, we don’t encourage fat bombs. We encourage that most foods should be whole, unprocessed and naturally occurring. Even keto treats, are still treats!

Sorry for my verbal diarrhea. I am a convert, for sure.

Check out www.alldayidreamaboutfood.com

Congrats on your successful advocacy for treating diabetes with a nutritious and appetizing carb-limited way of eating! It really works and is sustainable.

Going on at least 10 years. I can’t eat carbs needs 1 unit per 2 grams of carb this is not viable.

Been reading everyone’s posts about LC eating. I started 4 days ago on LCHF eating, wanted to lose some weight and see if my BS could be more stable. I am type 2 for 4 years and on Farxiga. Since I started LC’ing it I find that my BSs are lower (yeah) but am finding that I am getting 69, 68, 70’s often. I stopped taking my medicine on the 3rd day and the highest BS I have had is 123 and my lowest has been 70. I have felt a little shakey with the 68,69 BS’s but nothing more. I got a little scared with the low BS’s in the evening and that is why I stopped taking my meds. What I am wondering is… is it bad that I am not taking my meds? If my BS were to start rising too high I would go back on them. I have read that most people that do the LCHF eating usually have much better BS’s but not sure what you do with meds? Any thoughts?

Since you are type 2 you should still have some natural insulin production. The risk when you stop taking your medications is DKA, but only those of us who have no remaining insulin are at risk for this life threatening issue. If your BG’s are that great without the meds then just keep watch on your BG’s and be happy!

It’s easy to miss the post-meal spike if you’re only testing a few times per day. If you’re going off a medication designed to help control these, you may want to check 1-2 hours after each meal. The spikes should be lower on a LCHF diet, but it’s probably something you want to look out for.

Non-Ds are often in the 70 range and can even fall into the 60s (depending on the person). You may feel low in this range, but it may be because you’re not accustomed to it. Just something to think about. Dropping the meds might be worth discussing with the doc next time you see him/her.