How To Become A Joslin Medalist

There are links below containing information about the Joslin Medalist Program. If you scroll to the bottom of the page on the first link, you will find a printable application form. They want proof that you have been a diabetic for at least 50 years. When I saw that form a few years ago I thought I could not join because my parents were deceased, my doctor from my diagnosis year was deceased and the hospital where I was admitted keeps records for only the past 10 years. I had no proof I had diabetes for at least 50 years. Then I found that I could have my sister and cousin write letters telling about their memories of what happened in those early years after I was diagnosed . They sent their letters to me and I sent them along with my application form to the Joslin Diabetes Center in Boston, MA. They were accepted as proof and I received the medal.

If you want the medal, you have had diabetes for at least 50 years, and you have proof then it is easy to apply. If you do not have proof then you can have people who knew you during the year you were diagnosed or the next few years after the diagnosis write letters for you. Two or three letters are requested if there is no other proof you can give them.
Here is the link containing the application form. You have to use a printer and run off a copy of the application form. You can also call Joslin and tell them you are applying and ask questions. The phone numbers are on the link.

http://www.joslin.org/Files/Medalist2006Packet.pdf

The second link gives more general information about the Joslin Medalist Program and some of the history involved.

http://www.joslin.org/733_Medalist.asp

The person to contact fpr more information is given here:

Leah Whelan
Study Coordinator
50 – Year Medalist Study

Joslin Diabetes Center
One Joslin Place
Boston, MA 02215

Leah.whelan@joslin.harvard.edu

Internal Extension: 4345

I’m happy for you Richard. I wish I could find someone who knew me back in 1957 other than my steady who is now my wife of 51 years. We are finishing our 29th move in 51 years.

How about friends from school, your old neighborhoods back then, etc.?

Interesting, I did not know of this medal.

I find it a bit odd that they need proof. I mean if someone says they have had it for 50 years, I already feel bad for them and would give them a hug and a medal.

I’m 20 years in and counting. 5 More years and I can get a Victory Medal. Not sure if I want a medal, a few samples of insulin would do the trick. But it is an interesting program to say the least.

Its a nice medal to have…I was diagnosed in Nairobi, Kenya, East Africa. I actually found one of my doctors still alive and working at the Nairobi Hospital. He sent a letter for me. I was absolutely shocked to find him and also the fact that he remembered me - a very small child, three years old with an “unknown” disease. I am now going on 55 years with D and very proud of it. The Joslin Program is terrific and a useful tool for information.
Sheila

Thanks for your reply Sheila! I am very pleased that you have the medal.