The Joslin medals for long term T1D

On February 26, 2017 there were 5,123 people who had received the 50 year Joslin medal. There were also 95 who had the 75 year medal, and 9 had the 80 year medal. Since that date I have read that there are now more than 6000 fifty year medalists. The number of people living with T1D for 50+ years is growing by leaps and bounds. People from all parts of the world can apply for the Joslin medals, but some proof is required to verify the number of years with T1D. There are many T1D’s who do not know about the program. If you know someone who has been type 1 for 50 years, please tell them about the medals. Tell them they can join the secret Facebook medalist group and talk to so many others with type 1 for 50+ years. They can also attend meetings of the medalists in odd numbered years in Boston. Joslin has a very good program for the medalists who attend. Here is a link for applying for the medals. You can also apply for a 25 year certificate.

I will be eligible for the 75 year medal in Sept, 2020.

2014-04-01-50frontandback-thumb
![Joslin-75-Year-Medal|312x293]![50PM-thumb|268x229]

Joslin-75-Year-Medal

50PM-thumb

6 Likes

You and all the other medalist are so inspiring! I was told i’d Never make it past 30. Well, I have and so great to see so many making it way past that, and still leading healthy productive lives! Thanks for sharing. And I have looked into it but my parents & aunts and uncles are gone and medical records don’t go back that far.

1 Like

@Sally7, if you have friends, neighbors, or anyone who remembers you in the year that you were diagnosed, you can have them write letters for you. I did not apply for several years after I was eligible, and my sister and a cousin remembered 50 years prior to the date I applied. I included their letters with my application. I received the 50 year medal a couple of months later.

I had similar concerns, but applied and received medal a few years ago. I had notes from one doctor that had noted my diagnosis year, at my first visit with her, years before applying.
I also had a letter from my parents, but I know other family or friends can provide similar testimony to approximate date. My diagnosis coincided with 1yr birthday of younger sibling, so easy for my mom to remember, since grandparents were visiting and she was able to spend more time in hospital with me, learning to do injections on the Orange!!

2 Likes

I still havent submitted my paperwork for the 50 year medal. That was 2 years ago.

1 Like