How to interpret my C-peptide number?

I have just had a very interesting set of blood test results back and among them is my C-peptide reading of 106 pmol/l. I understand this is a different unit of measurement to what many other countries use, so was trying to interpret this result as, most helpfully, I was not given the lab range.

Am I right in thinking that this is quite a low number?

I think it equates to 0.318 ng/ml - is that conversion correct?

I believe you would divide 106 pmol/L by 1000 to get .106 nmol/L. Then to convert from nmol/L to ng/mL you mutiply by 3. So you end up with 0.318 ng/mL. So in this part of the diabetics 501 class you get an “A.”

ps. Most lab reference ranges for c-peptide are something like 1-3 ng/ml. Some go as low as 0.5 ng/ml. But in either case, yours is low. But without knowing your fasting glucose at the time of the test, the result is probably not meaningful.

Hi BSC, thanks for your reply. Fasting glucose at the time was 4.9mmol/l, which is 88.2 mg (I have lots of practice in multiplying and dividing by 18 lol!)

I just had mine done for the first time (at least to my knowledge) last summer before getting the pump. They had mine flagged that it was repeated for confirmation and the 2nd one had different ranges. The first result came back as <0.1 with a reference range of 0.9 to 4.0. The 2nd one was <33 with a range of 297 to 1419.