HSV-2 and Type 1

I was reading in publichealth.columbia.edu of autism risk linked to herpes infection during pregnancy.
“The study is the first to provide immunological evidence on the role of gestational infection in autism, reporting an association between maternal anti-herpes simplex virus-2 (HSV-2) antibodies and risk for ASD in offspring.”

So I’m researching whether there is a similar association with HSV-2 & T1 in offspring.
Any know research leads would be greatly appreciated.

ASD = Autism Spectrum Disorder

Welcome to TuD, @ppurdy01.

Thanks Terry4

Just theoretically, I don’t see a reason to expect it. ASD is a developmental neurological disorder people are likely born with, so effects probably start in utero. HSV-2 does infect nerves. T1D is an autoimmune disorder that can get triggered at any point in the lifespan, and while likely has viral triggers that set off the immune system, I don’t believe HSV has ever been implicated. It also seems less likely to be an in utero viral trigger in play with T1D, given how rare neonatal T1 is vs the most common age of diagnosis following an acute onset (around 10-13), which is not a likely time to contract HSV-2.

Uncontrolled diabetes can lead to health problems in an infant. So, you will want to be setup and as well controlled as possible.