Humalog not working?

I have had my insulin pump and been on Humalog for two weeks. I’ve had a few problems with blood in my cannula, so I changed my inset this morning because my BG has been between 220 and 300 since I changed it the night before. Since I changed my inset this morning my sugar has continued to be between 200 and 300. I got so fed up with the highs I decided to give my self a shot! And after hours and doing this 2 times (using my correction formula), its still isn’t working! I have only had this bottle for 2 weeks. I have carried it with me but kept it protected, in the shade, in cool areas. Does Humalog go bad quickly. I have to wait until the pharmacy opens in the morning to get a new bottle, because my doctor put “Dr. must authorize” on the prescription. Does anyone else have this problem?

I don’t have a problem with Humalog. Works fine for me.

The insulin should be ok, I have kept mine out with no trouble.
Did your sugars drop after injection?
Do you always spike high after a site change?
Reason I am asking, I have found that when I have run higher than normal sugars for an extended period, even if the pump is connected and working, it may take a larger than normal correction bolus (either via pump or syringe) to get the sugars back into range.
Site change - I tend to run high after each and every site change. I try to do a site change just before I am going to bolus in for food, and even then, I sometimes have to correct what is my normal dosage for the type and amount of food I am eating. Usually after being very watchful for the first 3 to 6 hours after changing sites, things are good.
Finally, no air in tubing or in reservoir? That too can mess you up. Good luck, I hope you get all figured out quickly!

I’ve had little bits of blood in the cannula with no problem. My first reaction, especially since the shot didn’t work either, is, are you getting sick, or might you possibly have a hidden infection? Did you test for ketones? In addition, I have also had the experience of needing a lot more insulin when my sugars have been high.

I think you should call your endo and talk about it with him. Better safe than sorry.

If you’ve only been pumping for two weeks, are your basal and bolus rates accurately calculated and set? Normally I keep my insulin (now Novolog, previously Humalog) on my dresser once it’s opened. I use approximately a vial per month, so it sits out for 30 days without any noticeable deterioration.

When you inserted the new inset were there drops when you filled the tubing? That, to me, indicated the pump is working properly. Another possibility is how the tubing is fed from the pump to the inset. Sometimes my tubing becomes kinked but there is usually a failed delivery warning. there are some sites on my body (the abdomen equator) that don’t do a reliable insulin uptake. After a few over 250 readings I replace the inset port. If that still doesn’t improve the complete infusion set is replaced.

You can check the delivery record on the pump history.

Or it may be bad insulin after all but this seems the least likely, but not out of the question either. Check the batch # on the bottle and on any other bottles you have from the same purchase date.

Good luck.

I have been pumping for 8 days. WHY is there so much concern about air/bubbles, please?

Many people are not concerned about air bubbles in tubing. Remember that the air bubble, if it advances, is going into tissue, not into your bloodstream. So there is no danger there. Second, there is about (note: about) half a unit of insulin in one (1) inch of tubing. So even if you had a whole inch of bubble, not likely, you are talking 1/2 unit of insulin. When I do have tiny bubbles, which is very seldom, most of them remain in the reservoir and congregate in the last few units when my reservoir is low. Some people remove the reservoir when it is low and push out the bubbles. I have never bothered because they don’t seem to move from the reservoir. If you fill your reservoir properly, any air bubbles will be so tiny, they will not affect your dosage. This is my educated opinion and I am sticking to it. Not a medical statement.