Humalog, Novolog, or Apridra

Which one would you choose and why?

I have used Humalog and now use Apidra. I have an erratic daily schedule and the shorter"tail" makes it easier to manage if, for example, lunch is delayed until 2:30. Three hours after taking the bolus it is out of my system. So even if my bg is 75 at that point I don't need to consume carbs. They both "worked" for me but my A1c's are lower now.

That is not solely due to which insulin - I have become a lot smarter T1 since joining TuD.

Thanks, beechbeard!

I used to use humalog - it was harsh and had a really long tail so I would have some epic lows. I switched to apidra because of the shorter tail and faster start up. When I was using MDI it was great. It worked quickly and was done and gone in about 2.5 hours. I started on the omnipod pump in May and quickly found the apidra was not as temperature stable as I needed to use it in the summer. So I am now using novolog in the pump. For me it seems to be predictable and temperature stable for 80 hours in the pod. I may switch back to apidra in the winter because I have a couple of vials in the fridge which I don't want to go to waste.

Thanks, Clare! How does Novolog's tail compare to Humalog and Apidra for you?

It depends how you're using it, your diet and how your metabolism responds. I echo Clare's experience if you're using a pump. For me Novolog proved the most stable when pumping.

The best way to find the right insulins is through trial and error. When doing MDI, I use Humulin R for certain types of exercise and some very low glycemic foods, Novolog to cover most meals, and Apidra for corrections.

Thanks, Christopher. Can you expand a little and tell me why you use Novolog to cover meals and Apidra for corrections? Thanks!

The tail on novolog is around 4 hours - not as short as apidra, but not as long as humalog which for me was closer to 5 hours.

Thanks for sharing your experience, MegaMinxX!

Sure. I follow a very low-glycemic diet, avoiding all starches, sugars and processed carbs. I inject Novolog right before I start eating and the onset matches my digestive process best (about an hour), allowing me to keep my BG flat most of the time.

Apidra has a faster onset for me - about 45mins. Hence the onset would impact me before my meal does and push me unnecessarily low. Granted, I could wait 15 mins after eating, but that would just become one more hassle to remember with this stupid disease.

Also, I can use Novolog PenFills with my NovoPen Echo, which has 1/2 unit dosing settings, allowing for more precise dosing for meals.

Hence, I usually use Apidra only for corrections because it has the fastest onset of all the insulins with which I've experimented. I've found that I can load 30 unit BG Syringes with 1/2 unit markings (P/N: 328440) with exactly 1.5 units of Apidra when I draw it up and put the plunger cap back on. I keep three of these in a shirt pocket or jacket in case I need a correction during the day. I rarely have to use all three and usually need no more than 1/2 unit to correct.

Ok, sorry to be picky, but by "onset" do you mean "peak" or do you mean it actually doesn't start working until one hour or 45 minutes, respectively.
Thanks!!

No worries. Specifically, I mean when I see that it has an effect on my BG. In short, if I inject an Apidra correction, I only see my BG start to drop about 45mins after the injection. The other thing I like about it for corrections is that it has the shortest tail, reducing the risk of "stacking" if I have to dose not long afterwards for my next meal.

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences with rapid-acting insulins!

My pleasure. Happy to help. Remember, however, that this is what I've found works best for me through plenty of trial and error. Everyone is different, and you will only settle on what works best for you through your own process of experimentation.