Humilin R U-500 prices

New year, new deductible which means paying high prices for insulin and supplies. Yesterday I went to Walmart to have prescription of Humulun R U-500 filled. (I have been a type 2 diabetic since 2006 and extremely insulin resistant.)

The price for the insulin with my insurance was $747 for a months supply. Without insurance, it would be over $900!!!

How does anyone afford this? I am 55, single, make a decent living and don’t qualify for any assistance. BUT…$750 is a lot to spend each month until my deductible is met! And I’m not even talking about all the other necessary supplies.

So, yesterday, I didn’t have that kind of money so got the Novolin r and Novolin N. Of course this morning I was high, 257. Arrrrrgh!!! What to do?

Angel

We have had a number of reports related to the price of U-500 insulin. There used to be two sources of U-500, but now there is one, and I think there is price gouging going on.

You could contact Lilly (who makes U-500), they run an assistance program, but I would not pin too many hopes on them helping much.

I think the best opportunity would be to minimize your need for U-500. You should follow a very low carb diet since being extremely insulin resistant means you are almost totally intolerant of carbs. I am a fan of Dr. Bernsteins "Diabetes Solution." Even if you can't do his diet fully, reducing carbs can help reduce your insulin needs.

The second suggestion is to utilize medications and exercise as much as possible. You should be taking metformin and perhaps considering Actos. And exercise can double your insulin sensitivity. Just walking helps.

A third suggestion is to normalize your blood sugar, if you run high, you will be more insulin resistant, so try to aggressively correct down to a normal range (70-140 mg/dl) and stay there and you should hopefully find your insulin requirements are reduced.

And a final suggestion is that if you are using R and NPH and have to take large injections (> 50 units), split up the injections. Larger injections are not as effective since there is a big pocket of insulin and it doesn't absorb well.

Like Brian said your body is telling (screaming) you not to eat carbs. Time for the great Dr. R. Bernstein. Look up what is takes to do a ketogenic diet. Can you exercise that helps a bit with IR but diet is the key.