Hyperaldosteronism

Is anyone familiar with this condition? My doctor is having me tested, as she suspects it could be a problem. High blood pressure, low potassium and diabetes (or even impaired blood glucose) are at play with this.

I was diagnosed with it right around the time I was diagnosed with diabetes. The problem was with adrenal gland adenoma that was overproducing aldosterone. I was given two options: surgery (remove the adrenal gland) or try to lower blood pressure and increase potassium levels with medications. I went with the surgery and it solved the problem.

1 Like

Now it appears there may be a prob with my kidneys (not dire…but there, none the less).
The next step is an endo. The Renin level went from 7 to 56 in less than 2 weeks. 56 is still within norm, but it’s the big spike that’s a concern, along with the kidneys.

1 Like

You didn’t mention, were you tested for aldosterone levels? If they are out of range I would look for a nephrologist. It seems he would be the quickest to connect all the dots.

1 Like

Make sure you have potassium stabilized and it is not falling, since doctors’ appointments will take a while. I used water-soluble tablets of potassium, because hard ones weren’t absorbed by the body very well in my case.

1 Like

Thank you Dmitry.
The first blood test showed Aldosterone to be 191 and Renin to be 7.3, thus making it a ratio of 26.2.
The second test had Aldosterone at 234 and Renin at 55.7. Ratio 4.2.
Potassium due to the diligent taking of K, was at 4.1 during those last 2 lab results.
Sodium at the very high end of normal.
I think the doctor’s rationale for seeking the advice of an endo, is due to the relationship to the adrenal glands…but, yes, getting a nephrologist’s point of view is a very good idea. Thank you.

I wish I had helpful information to add to this discussion but unfortunately I am uninformed. The best I can do is offer a big hug and these :bouquet:

1 Like

Thank you Gary…that’s so sweet. Hope all is well with you!

1 Like

Here is a link for a Yahoo group on Hyperaldosteronism. You will find a lot of useful information on the subject and people who might have more insight on your test numbers. There is also a doctor participates there if I remember correctly. Keep us posted about your progess, though. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you, Dmitry.