Hyperinsulinemia, more important than glucose in diabetes

This video impressed me with its clear and concise explanation of the metabolism. I’m familiar with many of these aspects but this explanation of these concepts helped me to really nail down this fundamental environment.

PodcasterJeff Krasno interviews Dr. Ben Bikman, a Phd academic researcher who excels at clear and concise description about how a healthy metabolism should work.

This video is long (one hour and 26 minutes) but from my perspective an investment well worth making. It covers a wide range of diabetes topics for both T1D, T2D, insulin resistance, hyperinsulinemia, as well as the effects of Ozempic and Wegovy medications. I hope you enjoy!

1 Like

You know what drives me crazy about this topic? You always hear people in the metabolic space say that your fasting insulin should be under a certain number for metabolic health (I think 5.0 is the number I usually hear?) Yet never has any of them been able to answer how that translates to an insulin dependent Diabetic. I’ve asked the question a bunch of times to a bunch of practitioners and not received a good answer yet.

I’ve also wondered the same thing, Sarah. The best info I could find for T1Ds is that total daily insulin is probably best at 0.5 units or less per kilogram (kg) of body weight. This point is not covered much.

During my 40 years with T1D, I have used as many as 80 units per day and as few as 25 units per day. This equates to about 1.0 units/kg on the high end down to 0.4 units/kg on the low end. I definitely feel better using less insulin per kg of body weight.

I believe the fasting insulin number you mention is given in mlU/L or milli-international units per liter. I never understood this measurement.

Does anyone here understand what this means?

That’s interesting, thanks Terry4.