I Am a Tslim Pumper Now

I have only been connected to it for 3 days. That is too soon to make a judgement imo. Yes, I need I insulin. I without it I would die. I have been type 1 for 34 years. I was on injections for 23 years before the pump. I am not ready to give up yet. I have made more adjustments to see if it helps. I have until the 22nd of July to return it. If I am not happy with my control I will make a judgement later. I have .01 at 8pm and 0u for the 9, 10,& 11pm hour.

I was 19 when I was diagnosed. Back then I was on NPH and Regular insulin. I had to take 2 injections a day. Over the years I have become more sensitive to insulin. I am sure I am a type 1.

I know I’m type 1 for sure. If my set comes out and I don’t notice,I move into dka in an hour. I get sick to my stomach. My muscles ache,I get dizzy and then after I reconnect I need triple the insulin to bring it down that it would normally take.

1 Like

I can get ketones when my bloodsugar stays in the 12mmol range for a few hours. I hardly ever stay high for very long. I can get on top of it by walking on the treadmill and doing corrections.

Dka is different from having ketones in your urine. It is very severe disorienting and it feels awful. Sort of like getting the flu and stomach flu after being run over by a truck, but it all happens in a quick minute. It happens when the ph of you blood moves out of range due to too much ketones.
Some ketones can be expected in everyone who loses weight. But when there is no insulin at all for a while DKA can hit you. It’s happened to me 3 or 4 times and I really never want to experience it again.

1 Like

I have felt nauseous and even vomitted in my early years of diagnosis when I didn’t care much and was going to eat what I and when I wanted. When we decided we wanted children I pulled up my drawstrings and became a “good” diabetic. I have never looked back and I am so grateful for my efforts now.:slightly_smiling_face:

Aren’t you even a little bit curious to find out if you could be MODY? You really do sound like a good candidate for it. Diabetes mis-diagnoses happen ALL THE TIME. It’s a simple genetic test your doctor could order. Some MODY still need insulin, but others can be treated with a pill. I would be jumping through hoops for a test that might free me from insulin! Even if it were a long shot…

1 Like

When I first became diagnosed they tried a pill to see if it would work to no avail.

It’s a different class of drugs. We’re not talking Metformin (Biguanide drug class) or any of the newer ones used to treat Type 2, which I assume is what they initially assumed you had because of your age at dx.

Treatment is different for the different forms of MODY. Drugs from the oral sulfonylurea class are usually effective for patients with MODY 1, 3, and 4. These drugs include glipizide (Glucotrol) and glyburide (Glynase Pres Tab, others). About 30% to 40% of patients with MODY 1 and MODY 3 will eventually need insulin to control their blood sugar levels. Insulin is generally taken by injection.

MODY 2 rarely requires drug or insulin therapy, and can usually be managed by exercise and diet alone. MODY 5 may require several different treatments because it causes other problems in addition to diabetes.

People with any type of MODY will respond better to treatment if they are not overweight or obese. Therefore, overweight and obese people should include losing weight as one of their treatment goals.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/a_to_z/maturity-onset-diabetes-of-the-young-mody-a-to-z

1 Like