I am so very sick of this

Me too. I hate my life. But it is the one I was given and I am the one that chose the paths I went down. Thngs have not been going exactly peachy for me either.

Now, let’s get over this damn pity party!!! We need not wallow in it too long. You take a step up and I will take one. Then another and another. It’s time to realize that we only have what we now have to work with. It’s like a sculptor … forming beautiful things from just a lump of clay!!

Let’s talk. Try to help each other.

Lois La Rose
Milwaukee, WI

Been there… it sucks.

Hell, given the time of the day, I’m still there!

Can’t count the number of times I get mad and frustrated and yell out to my friends, “Damn it! I quit Diabetes!”

The thought is so unrealistic, we all end up laughing at the outburst.

But it does help redirect frustration and anger.

Find something you like to do for escape. For me, I find water or white noise comforting. I sleep with a fan year round for the noise. In the winter I find a friend with a hot tub - in the summer I sit on the shore of Lake Erie. In both cases, the roar of the water allows me to close my eyes and clear my head and let everything go for half an hour.

As other folks pointed out… sharing with friends and people here who understand helps, too!

JohnDeaux, I totally understand your situation. This is why this site is so awesome, you can talk about your feelings. The majority of us could relate to your feelings.

Hang in there and make sure you advocate for yourself to receive the best care and treatment available to you.

Hey there John,

I can certainly relate. The physical pain of this disease isn’t that bad for me just yet. I have some neuropathy in my feet, erectile dysfunction, and the occasional bout of depression. Ok, more than occasional, let’s say regular, but not constant or even usual bout of depression.

Things you can do. Find something to distract you from the moment. Running, walking, playing the guitar.

I find that shooting sports work well for me. Archery, pistol range, etc. There is something about taking all that energy and sending it down range that makes you come away from it feeling like a burden has been taken off you. The concentration, the making the target represent whatever, the disease, your pancreas for turning on you, the most recent (because you know it wont be the last) idiot you had to deal with. Then sending the bullet or the arrow down range. The felt recoil of the handgun or the release from drawing the arrow back, and putting that hole in the paper is like knocking one brick out of the wall that imprisons you.

Another thing you can do, seems a little counter intuitive. If you want to feel better, then help someone else. I’ve heard it said that the way to find yourself is to lose yourself in something bigger. No matter your circumstances, YOU can make a difference to others. From working in soup kitchens, to reading to kids in the library, to making it part of your day to help fellow diabetics on tudiabetes. Get active in your church, volunteer at the hospice, something. You CAN do something that makes a big difference to someone.

Don’t dwell on the whys? Why did this happen to me? Why do I feel this way? The whys don’t really matter. Your actions did not create this disease, but they can effect how you live with it. The realities are that unless you are hit by a bus or something else happens to you, the complications of diabetes will probably kill you. Well something has to kill all of us. At least very few people I know about manage to make it off this planet without dying. And if you have to have a chronic disease, diabetes is the one that lets you have the most control of the course. What we do, the decisions we make, from do I skip my testing myself AGAIN, or I just don’t want to take my meds because I feel like ■■■■, will have an effect on my life. This is YOUR life. You have the control.

Make no mistake about it. You are in a life and death struggle with this disease. How you react to it will determine your outcome. Ignore it, deny it, and it will kill you. Deal with it, fight it and you put off the day of your death long enough for something else to get you. Like maybe that bus when you are crossing the street to get into your new Ferrari, when you are 103 and off to pick up your 30 year old girlfriend. Hey it could happen!!

Make it part of your mission to be as informed as you can. Learn about this disease. Educate yourself about it, so that it doesn’t have any surprises in store for you. Pass on that knowledge. Educate others. Be it the idiot at the next table that thinks that your testing your BG before a meal is disgusting, or some one who is so new to the disease that they don’t even know what is a hemoglobin A1c.

Ok, my soapbox is getting a little rickety. And I better get off it before I fall.

I wish you didn’t have to be here. But since you are, welcome to the battle friend and let’s try to help each other.

So sorry for your suffering. Hope your new therapist helps.

Wish I could go on a nice vacation where I can sit on the beach by myself with my thoughts.

There is always hope. Perhaps this doesn’t apply to you now, but check out the website for Otelixizumab.

no man you aren’t feeling sorry for yourself at all, it’s powerlessness and frustration. I empathize with you totally. You can drop me a line anytime just to vent, i’m all about that.

Wow. You’re optimistic. Where did you get that from? We can all learn a lot from you.

JohnDeaux…

It’s understandable. I, too, feel like I’m in a “blue funk” from time to time. It seems I just can’t quite put my finger on what is causing it, until I get still and figure out it’s the stupid diabetes. It happens sometimes when I wake up and have great expectations that my numbers will be awesome and then …BAM…I’m totally disappointed. That’s when I take it out on the gym and then the next day, sleep in. (I get up at at 4:30 a.m. to work since I work from home and then head to the gym at 6:30 a.m.). Sometimes, I figure out that I’m just plain old tired, that’s where the sleeping in comes in. lol

Don’t beat yourself up over this. If this is happening more often than you would like, consult your physican about being treated for depression. I take Cymbalta and it helps me greatly! Good luck…

Clee

I don’t ever recall hearing that anybody volunteered to be a diabetic.

Learning how to manage your diabetes seems to be a lifelong learning experience in and of itself. It’s going to be a little different for everybody. How you manage it may change over time. Having a warped sense of humor helps for me. It’s not easy maintaining a positive attitude all the time, but possible at least some of the time.

I agree completely with Clee’s last paragraph. Hang in here.

When you first find out its a real shock but finding out is better than not knowing many people go through many years of not knowing intill they pass out or lose their sight instead of getting down on yourself make this moment to start fresh by looking at what you eat and by exercising more in time the depression starts to go away and you start to feel better about yourself

Hi Jon

I am with you I was diagnosed in oct 2006 denial for 3 long years finally so tired and wobbly went to doctor and he prescribed medication and that was that. I basically have had to wing it on my own reading and joining groups. My bs was 200 in the office that day two months ago now it hardly ever goes over 170 but ranges low 90 and 110. The point is I thought with the medication and low bs I would begin to feel better. I am still wobbly tired and just darn not feeling well. I was wondering if I ever will feel healthy or good again. My husband and family still expects me to maintain my family duties with no care that I can barely function what a horrible feeling. I just want to feel better!!

Aurora

Hello Aurora,

I’m sorry you’re not feeling well and that you have to wing it on your own. When I found out my blood sugar was too high my doctor sent me to a dietician but I couldn’t wait almost 2 months to see her so I did my own diet and exercise program. Are you going to a dietician? If not, you should ask your doctor to recommend one. I thought I cut back enough on carbs, but she cut it back even more. If you’re in North America, you could ask for help from the Canadian Diabetes Association or the American Diabetes Association. Certain hospitals may have information meetings for patients. Ask if you can attend even if you’re not a patient there. Let your husband and kids know that you can’t do everything all the time. Your husband should help out. If your kids are old enough and capable, teach them to do some things for themselves. Good luck and hope you get good medical treatment.

Sugar Plum

Yup! PITY PAAAAAARRRRRRTTTYYY!!! You’re entitled … for a little while. But then you just to get over it and carry on! Enjoy it for a while, then move on.

Lois La Rose
Milwaukee, WI

Thanks Sugar Plum

I am feeling a lot better today. My body does not ache as much. And just sharing on this site has helped me not feel so alone. I have lost 13.5 pounds and my rings can fit again. I will ask my doctor about seeing a dietician. I wan to feel good and do what is best for me.

Thanks again

Aurora

You’re welcome, Aurora. After I lost weight and brought my blood sugar down to normal I feel so good I bought too much clothes for myself! Imagine my credit card bill! Hahaha. I managed to pay it off. Let me know how you’re doing.

Hi , Are you sure you dont have fibermyalgia also. I have it and the pain you describe is the same as I have in my feet and legs. Sometiimes the sheets hurt. It is very hard but if you can get interested in something on the computer or some other hobby you may get some of the pain to ease up. Gentle hugs. Please look at web site Patients lide me to see if your symptoms are like thiers. Also check with your doctors. Hope you feel better.

John, I know how you feel, this can suck. But if you want to live and live a full life, you might want to forget the part about being cut out for this, sorry, my friend, but you got it whether you like it or not. Many people just skip the idea of taking care of themselves and the “D”; and pay the consequences. Many people suck it up and do what has to be done, and live better lives. And most are some place inbetween. I am glad to hear that you are seeing a new therp, I hope it helps you out… This ain’t easy, but it’s what we’ve got dealt, so as they tell us women, “but your big boy pants on and show yourself what you are made of”.