I Don't Want to Carry the Weight Anymore

Moving to Chicago meant I had to get a whole new set of doctors. I’ve been lucky enough to find good ones that (seem to) know what they are doing and with very short drives from home. My first visit with the endocrinologist was great and I’ve been taking care of myself, following (almost) all his recommendations. Next appointment was with the OB-GYN to discuss my rather frustrating femaleness and the whole trying to conceive thing; not an easy task for a person like me.

I am not blind to my health issues. I am morbidly obese (that took courage to write down!), I have type 2 diabetes, high cholesterol levels, a poor-functioning thyroid gland and other conditions related to my weight. It annoys me to no end when people talk to me as if they think I have no idea of what I have to deal with. Yet I don’t do enough to change things; or maybe I do but it doesn’t work.

I’ve been chubby all my life. I have tried every single diet in the book. I remember my mom making me drink grapefruit juice and other badly-tasting concoctions every morning when I was a kid. When I was in 5th grade I went to see weight-loss doctor who ended up giving me amphetamines to everyone’s dismay. When I went to college I saw a doctor who was very much in vogue with the Atkins diet. I’ve seen tons of dietitians; I’ve done the Herbalife thing and some others. In 2005 I was able to lose 50% of the weight I need to get rid of all by myself, but once I left the discipline of eating healthy and going to the gym every day I’m back at square one. It happens all the time; people think you have no will power or that you’re lazy. They don’t get that obesity is a chronic disease.

I’m not going to elaborate on the psychological consequences of the “Yoyo Effect.” I think I’ve managed to have a pretty normal life despite being made fun of when I was a kid, feeling rejected by the guy I liked when I was a teenager, being told I wasn’t good enough to attend a certain college where only pretty people go, etc. And while I have to admit all that has played a role in my development as a person, I think it’s a matter of personal responsibility to deal with it and take the steps to change certain things that don’t work.

So now the focus is my health and the fact that if I want to be ready for conception I need to take a very careful look at the options out there. That’s why when my OB-GYN asked me if I’ve ever considered bariatric surgery I decided that I’m going to look into it. I’ve heard horror stories and it’s scary, but there are also the good stories and it doesn’t hurt to ask. I talked to my cousin – who’s a doctor and one of the people whose opinion I value the most – and when she told me “by all means, go for it!” I knew I had to get more information.

So I’ve been reading a lot about lap-band surgery, I joined a message board and I’m going to see a surgeon with great reviews on February 2nd. From the looks of it, I’m a good candidate for the surgery, and I know it will be a long process but I think it’s worth a shot.

In Spanish we say “A grandes males, grandes remedios.” – It means the bigger the problem, the bigger the remedy needs to be. Maybe it’s time for me to think bigger.

Any input from diabetics who have undergone this procedure will be greatly appreciated.

I haven’t but have seen it pop up in the forums time to time try a search there. remember recently someone going for a lap band surgery not sure if that is the same thing or not. take care and good luck!

Have you asked your Dr for help with Byttea or Symlin to see if that would assist in your weight loss? Many have achieved phenomenal results with either of these two.

My heart and soul are with you. Your life as far as the weight ordeal is about a mirror image of mine. I was a fat kid, and my mother gave me the same grapefruit thing from the doc no less…I was 13. I have joined and rejoined WW’s so many times, but never reached a goal weight. I am now on a low carb plan from my nutritionist and CDE; which makes sense diabetically, but there is little room for losing weight on it. My best friend is waiting to hear about her bariatric surgery. She plans to have it in March. She is a large woman, has type 2 D, and is on insulin. She is old enough to be your mother, as I am. I’m not happy about her choice, but I feel she isn’t motivated to do the work after surgery. You sound very motivated and that is important because it’s not a walk in the park, which I am sure you already know. Losing weight is not for weenies, it is tough and I wish you all your dreams about being healthy. It sure beats the alternative. Good luck! Stay with us and let us know how you are doing.

I feel like our lives have been much the same, since birth! I’ve done everything you’ve mentioned, and gone through the same things with my own mother, including a radish diet, and Herbalife. It’s very distressing going through all of that, and getting grief not just from kids outside, but from your own mother who seems to blame you for your weight issues. While taking responsibility for where we are, is indeed our own part of it, we certainly didn’t make ourselves get here… I, too, have Thyroid problems, and Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. I’ve even made a group for support, knowledge, and empowerment, for those with Hypothyroidism, or any related condition. It is extremely frustrating, I know. I think what has finally worked for me, is reading a book by a lady called Geneen Roth, called “Breaking Free from Compulsive Eating” (http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Free-Compulsive-Eating-Geneen/dp/0452270847), which taught how to deal with the emotional and external aspects of why we may overeat, and simply cutting down on some of the carbs I consume ( I have about 90 g or less a day). I don’t follow an Atkins style diet, at all, and I just eat as many carbs as I can get away with, without spiking my blood sugars. That, along with portion control, and not depriving myself of the things I love… Has helped me not feel constrained, and has helped me lose weight. (About 46 lbs, now, though I still have about 100 more to go) I want to feel satisfied, too, when I’m eating… And not feel like I have a ball and chain of dieting around my neck. That’s what’s sabotages me… Honestly. The idea of someone else telling me what I can, and cannot eat… and then feeling deprived, leading to huge sessions of binge eating. I am very supportive of you, but I want you to keep in mind that even if you consider, and go through with geriatric surgery, I would still encourage you to read through this book… because geriatric surgery requires a heck of a lot more will power than dieting, as their diet is extremely restrictive… and in many overweight people, it’s not ‘fullness’ that determines how much we overeat. I had a coworker, who was now considering her 3rd geriatric surgery… And she had already gained all her weight back, and then some, from overeating… Not following any of the diets she was given. It CAN happen. The psychological aspects of wanting to binge and overeat, often surpass any feelings about how dangerous something might be for us. It is far, far, from easier than dieting and exercise. It should be a last resort, jump start tool, and you should have a huge support system for it (and I don’t mean naggy, guilt ridding people.)

Whatever steps you take in order to be healthy, and control Diabetes, we are here for you… :slight_smile: To encourage, or suggest things in times of need. Wanting to change, and be healthy, is a big, first step… and you are there. :slight_smile: That’s a great step that takes a long, long while for people to reach. :slight_smile: Good job.

Ugh… bariatric, not geriatric. lol