I get a horrible rash with the pods

I get a horrible rash with the pods. When this started a few months ago, I tried lots of kinds of skin preps. I have tried: Hollister, 3M, mastisol, barrier film, barrier skin prep (brand?), iv prep, just alchol wipes, and a combination of these products as well. It sticks fine. But after 24 hours it is SO ITCHY I just want to scratch it off. I have been to the dermatologist for this too, and she gave me something to make the rash go away (didn’t really help much) and her first question was, what did Omnipod suggest.
So the clinical rep suggested some Cortisol cream OR a skin barrier and to let that dry completely before putting the pod on. Well I tried that for my last site and it still itched some, and there was still a small rash - but not as bad as it used to be. When I put another adhesive like IV3000 underneath it, it doesn’t itch and there is no rash. But the large IV3000 is SO BIG, I used to like to put it on my arm too, but I don’t think I could do that with the huge IV3000 (4x4). If I use the small IV3000, it itches on the left and right sides because some of the pod adhesive is touching my skin.

My doctor’s nurse says I should go see a dermatologist or get another pump. I have had the Omnipod only for 8 months. Before that I had a Cozmo for 1 1/2 years, and donated it to a diabetes charity. Neither pump is out of warranty.

I don’t know what to do about this, get a new pump (Animas ping), or keep trying things to make it stop itching. My arms still itch from the sites I had on them about two weeks ago. The clinical rep is coming to meet me tomorrow. Two weeks ago I was so frustrated I wanted to go back on shots.

Sorry to hear about your frustration. It sounds like you might be having an allergic reaction. Have you tried an oral antihistamine, like over-the counter Benadryl (diphenhydramine), Zyrtec (cetirizine), and Claritin (loratadine), or prescription-only Allegra (fexofenadine)?

Since you’re getting some relief with an antihistamine, I would consider a once-daily oral nonsedating antihistamine (like Allegra or Zyrtec) for a week and see how it goes.

Hi Erika,

Why not take the big 4x4 IV3000 and cut it down so that it is just slightly larger your pod “footprint”? That should solve your itching problem, without leaving the adhesive patch much bigger than the actual pod.

Good luck and best wishes, Mike

I also get itching and a “mark” from my Pod. I have had it for almost two years. I have gotten use to it, and it seems worse if it is on a spot where it gets “moved”, like if on my abdomen and I am at my desk and there is a little contact. I have tried all sorts of things, and it seems to be getting better. I use the anti-itch cream as soon as I take the Pod off, and change it every 2 days, so I fill it with less that 200 units. I don’t think I could go back on a pump with a tube!

Hi Erika,

I just found this thread, and I have what sounds like the EXACT same issue. I started on the pod last October, and I was great for a long while. Sometime in the Spring, the itching and horrible rashes started. It has continued ever since. I have tried Tegaderm, Skin Prep and a couple of other things. Nothing seems to alleviate the problem for me. Have you found an answer for yourself yet? I’m sorry you are suffering too, but I’m happy to know I’m not insane!
Cindy in Houston

Hi Erika,

I’ve heard about this as my endo is actually a Type 1 who loved his Pod. He developed a skin allergy to them as well after 6 mos. It only happens according to Insulet in about 2% of patients. If it continues, unless you can live with the itch, you will most likely have switch. He has been off the pods now for about 6 mos. He tried all the stuff you are discussing and finally gave up. (I hope the betadine or something else works!)

Hi,

I was having the same problem, and tried a ton of different things but was still ending up with the itching and then horrible red spots that wouldn’t get better. I’ve finally found something that seems to have stopped all the problems–i bought some spray benedryl (in a little bottle) and spray it on the area i’m going to put the pod on and let it dry totally. this seems to have totally stopped the itching and red bumps so far. also, i use unisolve to take the pod off, wash the area off and then put aquaphor lotion on it right away. it’s sort of greasy but also totally got rid of the older red spots too (still red, but not gross and bumpy anymore.)

My daughter also gets irritated skin from the OmniPod. We are trying tegaderm now. It seems to stick fine but she does still seem to get a little itchy. As soon as we take it off, we put bag balm on the site area. It is just like vaseline but it seems to help the irritation go away faster so by the time we gaet back to that site, she is looking good. I think we got it a CVS. But I would love to know if anything else works for people. She has been on the OmniPod since April. We also tried the hollister wipes.