I love fast food!

Is it true that as I am getting older the fast food is making my BS higher & staying higher longer ? I use to eat fast food & I maybe a little high ,but now that I am close to 14 when I eat out my sugar is like very high .
I take shots ,not the pump so you cant do half now half later I guess you could if you want to take a xtra shot .
I eat last night at 5 PM ,at 8:30 I was very high (306) ,10 still high(285) & this morning was still over 200 . We even gave a little extra per carb for the meal .
So does that mean? That now as I am getting older I cant have fast food as much as I want ?
Hopefully one of you pros will know a insulin to carb trick for fast food !

Don’t worry, you don’t have to give up fast food if you really, really love it. But it’s a little tricky to balance the blood sugars–and you’ll get scurvy if you don’t eat enough fruit and veggies :slight_smile:

It’s not just the carb, it’s the fat in fast food. Fat has “staying power” that can help keep blood glucose levels elevated for hours after a fast-food meal (it has to do with slowing digestion of accompanying carbs, plus other nutrients, like protein, are also converted to glucose, just not at the same concentration level as carb is)

Taking multiple shots around one meal is one way to deal with a high-carb, high-fat meal. It’s easier with a pump, because you can program tiny boluses over a period of hours.

Here’s a discussion about insulin to cover fat and protein.

Hey Tyler,

Hey listen, your body is different from everybody elses. If your body says “I don’t like fast food anymore,” you might want to think about eating less fast food. My advice is to listen to your body, because going high is no fun. Remember, you’re in control! Are there other things you enjoy eating that don’t cause your blood sugar to go so high? I know when I eat fast food, my blood sugar goes crazy high, so I just don’t eat it anymore. Same with melons and white rice.

What do you think?

I find that I have to do all kinds of crazy insulin calculations EVERY time I eat out. Like Kelly said, it’s the fat. Half of it converts to glucose over the next 8-10 hours AND it causes your cells to be resistant to the insulin you’re putting in. And I have to know carb counts. Period. For me, eating out equals high unless I try to outsmart it. Without a pump, I don’t know how I’d do it though, so I don’t know what to tell you.

The other day, I decided to go to Arby’s. Before I left the house, I looked up their stats online and decided what I’d eat (exactly 60g of carb and 40g of fat, I believe it was). I took the amount of insulin up front that I would need for 60g of carb before I even left the house to get that insulin on board, and an additional amount spread out over the next hour and a half to cover the fat. My post-prandial never went above 124. But if I had underestimated the carb count by guessing instead of looking it up online, if I had underestimated the fat, or if I hadn’t been prepared to do a correction amount of insulin if I started to notice the high, I never could have handled it.

So I guess my advice is to know what you eat (we live in a world with a lot of accessible nutritional stats now), take more insulin than you think you need and take it early, and be prepared to take another injection a couple hours later.