I rember momma -a diabetic also

I remember Momma. She was always at the stove or table.We didn’t eat richly but were never too hungery.Carbs made up most of our meals.Pasta with almost anything on it from peas,lentles,tuna to sausage,meatballs or pork chops.Fried potatoes,Italian peppers,onions and scrambled eggs was a frequent meal.Pizza,pizza fritta(fried bread dough) were our treats.At times I would tell my mom,“I’m still hungry”. My dad would answer,“Eat more bread”. I remember when doors were never locked,You coukd walk into any neighbor’s house.Neighbors would look out for you and, if you misbehaved would say,“I’m going to tell your mother”. I remember stick ball, playing football on the street ,5 cent Pepsi,penny candy and stick pretzles. Frank Sinatra,Ed Sullivan Ernie Kovac,Jack Parr, Burns and Allen were also fond memories but most of all, I remember Momma… Who do you remember?

I remember many great things from my childhood! Most of all, memories of my brother, Doug. He was a very funny, carefree and kinda off the wall type guy. As a child, I grew up without my father…so Doug was the man in my life. Well, he would tickle me until I peed my pants, torture, but I loved his attention. He would sit in the bathroom with me when I took a bath and play “Bartender”! Ha, yes it was the 60’s and our home was very “free” with comfort among each other. He would buy me candy and call me “Bobby-O” and we watched scary movies together…covering my eyes when I thought it was the horrid part only to be told by him it was over and okay to look…well, it wasn’t, and I remember his laugh!
He laid with me when I had a nightmare or just scared of the dark. He stuck up for me against my sister, always took my side. I made him a hat from paper one time and he wore it for days on end!
Colored with me and one Christmas my Mom could not afford gifts, I woke to 3 presents under our tree…from my brother. Hot Wheel type cars (yes, a tomboy) Jacks and a record.
He made friends where ever he went and always laughing and fun. He always told everyone “Boogaloo” which meant have fun, dance, laugh, etc. So, I hope all of you “Boogaloo” forever!
He died In 1989, 35yrs old. I lost my “Saviour” but, the memories are forever.

I remember my momma too like you! She always kept my diabetic diet at the time you had to weigh out the servings at like 2 or 3 ounces at a time (early 70’s) she would do this using a white little scale that she had ordered off tv and I wasn’t gonna get 2nds no matter how I begged! You only got this much and no more!!! The doors never being locked and the screen doors slamming shut all the time. As for the sodas being a nickle well they were a dime by the time I hit school but everyday after school (I lived out of counry and got taken to school) we would stop by the local country store and get a coke and a bag of potato chips all for a quarter. Times like that as a kid you never forget!!

One more thing I forgot to add…She passed it will soon be 6 years this January 9th…

You hit home with this one Peter. I remember my mom, she was called home 34 years ago when I was 7. She was a T1 but always made us kids feel special. Christmas was filled with crafts and cookies (I love baking cookies with my girls at Christmas, unfortunately I also love eating them!), she had a way of making every holiday, no matter how minor, special. I’d tell you more but I would wind up crying all over my computer…I miss her still.

My Mom I remember the most…won’t go into details…I will go on forever and a day about her, and probably cry for a week straight. Miss her too much.

Robyn,it certainly sounds that your brother and you were very special to each other.That is a true blessing.As you always say," Family is everthing".It was nice to read some of your treasured memories.I wish you and yours a great big “Boogaloo”. Pete.

Doris,it sounds that your mother was very devoted to you.The way she cared for and protected you from this burden that we carry was such an act of love She didn’t skimp on getting you the best scale available.Those are the things that mothers do, Nice hearing from you. Let’s stay in touch. Pete( Momma’s boy.).

Dori,those cookies must be something special. You have my mouth watering.It must have been difficult loosing your mom when you were so young.We must thank the Lord for our precious memories.Stay tuned in. With love, Pete

Robyn,your memories of your mom must be so very special. Some memories we should keep to ourselves they are that important l.My God bless your mom and keep your memories of her alive and protected. Take care,Pete

I remember my Grandma Betty. She was my best friend. I would go over to her house every weekend and have sleepovers. We would watch cartoons and she would always have the best treats. I remember when i was little I really wanted a snowboard. My mom said i couldn’t have one so my grandma ordered one up and told my mom that she bought it for herself and that I was just borrowing it from her. She was always buying me stuff for golf. She would come into the pro shop with me and buy me a new bag or club, then my mom was like you’re not aloud in the proshop so she’d just give me her bank card. Once the bank card wasn’t aloud she would just write me a check. Grandma was always finding ways around the rules my mom would have. Sadly she passed away 9 years ago, but her memory will alst forever.

My mom was the GREATEST person I’ve ever met! She was AWSOME!!!

Nice thread, Peter! My memories of my mother (who died 34 years ago) are not good; she was controlling and emotionally abusive. I developed very poor self esteem due to this toxic atmosphere and really struggled in my 20s, almost not making it through. Then I met Ruth who was a few years older and she and her husband Tom took me in and were positive role models. They told me I could do or be whatever I wanted and that I was smart, funny, worthwhile as a human being. All the positive messages I was dying for lack of. Ruth made the difference between life and death, self-destructiveness or self fulfillment for me. She became the top ranked woman glider pilot in the U.S. and died a few short years later still in her 30s. I remember Ruth.

I remember when Ike was president. America was at it’s happiest.

remember my grandmother, Dorothy. She was a diabetic, and never, never followed a plan, took meds, or did a thing to take care of herself on this level. She died at the age of 68 in a nursing home, weighing in at 70 lbs. In her prime, I swear she had the most beautiful legs in the world. She was a grand woman, every prim, very proper; but very sick. “Proper women don’t poke themselves with needles,” she’d tell me. She didn’t exactly “like” me, because I was raised in the country, and nothing good ever came out of SD — farmers and Indians — she’d say. I still have the final picture of her curled up in a fetal position, and dying…it will forever be my reason for taking care of myself.

I remember my mom so vividly. In particular, this one thanksgiving mom had been int eh hospital for four weeks, no one new if she woudl be home or not for dinner and my dad worked out a way to bring her home for dinner. She could not eat. Right after dinner my dad took her back home. Mo did not come home until January 2, that year. Each time the family got together that year, they would say this will likely be your moms last year with us. She lived 14 more years. Whne she came home it is the best thing ever.

I also remember mom using glass syringes, U 80 - insulin, Urine tests, scales, not counting carbs the pure joy of diet rite. I remember boiling syringes, two inch steel needles, and riding my bicycle 70 miles in a day.

rick phillips

I remember my dad. He died January 13 and Nov. 28 is his birthday so I’ve been having a really hard time. He was a really great man. We went camping every year, all seven of us (I have 2 brothers/2 sisters) in a big canvas tent. Went to Yosemite, Sequoia/Kings Canyon, Lake Tahoe, Grand Canyon, Oak Creek Canyon. He was a huge Corvair enthusiast (yes, Corvair, the rear engine, danger to society). He was president, etc. of the North Orange County, CA chapter of the Corvair Society of America. When my daughter was born, 4/5/86, my mom and dad were in AZ for the national convention (she decided to come a month early, the weekened I had the baby!!!). They were only a few minutes from the hospital where I had her, so they were able to see her right away. Went to visit my mom in May and she pulled out all my dad’s pins he collected over the years that he would put on his hat. Mom let both kids go through them and pick out what they wanted. I then went through and found the one from the convention when my daughter was born and gave it to her. Anyway, my dad was great, he loved all five of his kids, and all six grandkids. I really miss him and his birthday’s going to be really hard for me.

Not everyone feels this way, Anthony. I found the 50s a very cruel time where people were discriminated against if they were different than the majority. I feel no nostalgia for the 50s

That is true I also remember the toilets and water fountains for Whites and Blacks and also the appalling shacks that people lived in in Jacksonville, Florida. We did not have these features in Canada and it was quite an eye opener for a kid that was well indoctrinated on John Wayne movies and the Ed Sullivan show.

What I know I have only read in books about the time, seen in musesums, spoke to people who lived in that time. I tell my son about the struggles of people throughout time so that he knows that everything came with a price. One thing is that people during that period of time paved the way so that today we can come together in a community like this and share our experiences and support each other in a way that we could not see if it was not for the struggle. We have something common inside that brings us together. My thoughts are of the 70’s and 80’s and all i remember is that nothing ever got trickled down my way with the trickle down theory. Take care