I want to get involved with advocacy, where do I start?

There’s lots of stuff to do…particularly in your state, it seems. You gotta kinda pick and choose which battle speaks to you. Pick one or two things and go for it. There’s lots to choose from.

Expect to spend a few years on it. You can always, as a first step, get to know who your representatives are. But, there’s lots of secret, “abstract advocacy,” things you can do - like, having art exhibits about health and illness, or taking an EMT class where you get to know your local responders. It is helpful, for them, to know a diabetic, in real life. It will also help you, if they recognize you. You can write. You can network with diabetics in your area (you could host/start a diabetic meetup group). I find it super helpful to get to know individuals from other chronic illness groups, as well. They will be natural allies.

I see that you found the drivers license thing. Thats made me mad for years. This year it finally came before our legislature. I think that things we write on the forum get read, and that helps, too.

I really like your “video diary,” about how difficult it is to buy syringes. You could do more of that and work up to an entire web page that describes the things that stand in your way.

This year, I spoke at a medical technology conference because it was all tech developers and insurance companies and people from “the biz.” But, there was no one speaking from a patient perspective about the difficulties we face. So, I did that. I was really scared, but it turned out fantastic!

I do lots of painting work related to the human body to discuss concepts of health and illness. There’s lots of strange stuff you can do to talk about diabetes with people.

3 Likes