If I loose weight I can reverse Type 2 diabetes?

Thanks Kimkat, Ill give it a read. It seems that thin T2s are more like (what are we up to?) type 4 diabetics.

Pauly, this “The other thing that is missed with T-2 is that it is progressive. 40% of T-2s are on insulin after 5-10 years of diagnosis.” would be due to beta cell burn out, if Im not mistaken.

Many doctors are promoting weight loss and bariatric surgery as “cures” for type 2 diabetes, though there are no long-term studies (i.e. more than 20 years) that provide that evidence. Though these studies only last, on average, 5 years, the researchers have claimed their subjects were in “long-term remission” and therefore, “cured”.

My obvious criticism of this conclusion that these people’s type 2 was “cured” is that one would hope that getting one’s diabetes under control would lead to a life longer than 5 years. In fact, these people who were studied are still alive. Just because diabetes has been controlled for 5 years does not mean that the diabetes will still be controlled 15 years later. The researchers should have known that even the surgeons who use the so-called lap band cannot guarantee that their patients will maintain their weight loss 15 years in the future. Shoot, this season’s Biggest Loser includes a young lady who had gastric bypass when she was a child! Given that, it should be apparent that 5 years is hardly enough time to say whether or not these people were actually cured.

I would lik to try Weight Watchers for weight loss & life style change. Exercise as well.

Although I realize my weight is to blame for a lot of it. I also have a family history of it. I also have Hypothyroidism which is another endocrine disoder. One of my OB’s said that they come in pairs from what she’s seen. Not always of course, but in a lot of cases.

I really am enjoying all that I’m learning here.

One of the more interesting developments in diabetes type 2 meds are the GLP-1 analogs (Byetta, Victoza), injectables that can help lower blood glucose and, as a secondary affect, aid in some initial weight loss. These meds mimic the effects of a natural gut hormone that people with type 2 diabetes lack to some degree and/or have resistance to.

Eating fewer calories and exercising more is a great formula for losing weight and feeling better (plus lowering blood glucose, blood pressure and bad cholesterol). But sometimes a body with diabetes can use a little extra help! Best wishes in your weight loss journey. Keep in mind that losing even 10% of body weight helps–even if you don’t get down to “ideal” weight. One pound at a time!

I lost 85 lb and the diabetes got worst. I think they did the right thing to put you on insulin if metformin was not working. And of course weight loss is great for the knees which are also essential.

While being put on insulin can be scary, I’m with Anthony here. Insulin can help you get your blood sugar normalized. And it is important to understand that getting your blood sugar normalized quickly can put you on the right track for not only getting healthy, but also properly losing weight. Losing weight certainly can help your insulin resistance and as Kelly notes, some of the newer medications can help you with the weight loss, but you need to look out for yourself.

There is another reason that being on insulin is good here. Understand that many pregnant women get Gestational Diabetes (GD), and for some reason a fair number of those women get autoimmune T1. Nobody understands why this is, perhaps it is the stress of pregnancy, perhaps having a foreign body in you triggers an autoimmune reaction, who knows. In either case, you need to understand that not responding to metformin is “a sign.” I don’t know your internist, but I would tell you the GP’s I have seen wouldn’t recognize emerging T1 if it hit them in the head. They think T1 only happens when you arrive in the ER. Well it doesn’t. The vast majority of adult cases set on slower giving the outward symptoms you have displayed.

So be careful, get your blood sugar properly controlled, I recommend you see an endochronologist. You can lose weight in your own time and safely.

First I don’t care for the term reverse Diabetes. There is nothing anybody can do that will reverse the damage done to the heart, arteries, eyes, teeth, kidneys etc when a person does change there lifestyle for the better.

I would go with what you what your Endo and D. Educator tells you. Your doctor sound very pompous. Perhaps your need to find a OB/GYN that is experienced with Gestational Diabetic Pregnancies. It is important that you BS levels are in check. When you hear about women having those whoppers for babies (13-15lbs) partially due to undiagnosed diabetes while pregnant. So it seems like you missed your chance to get in the Record.

Some doctors are too proud to admit they don’t know what they are doing which is ashame. There is nothing wrong with saying they aren’t astute in an area. Just find somebody that is. Please remember women with gestational diabetes have a chance of developing Type 2 later in life.

How is your baby doing now?

Christalyn I have Type 2 & my daughter is 2 yrs old. She was born perfectly healthy at 7lbs 2oz. I kept my sugars in tight control while pregnant on insulin. I’m on it again after not being on anything for a year than being on just metformin.

IMO weight watchers is not the best plan for a diabetic. Their program is very high in carbs. I don’t know how many grams of carb you are eating in a day now, but a lot of people have had good luck adopting a diet with 100 gm of carbs a day or fewer.

I’ve lost a lot of weight since my diagnosis and stepped up my exercise and now my fastings are right around 90 instead of being between 110 and 120, and this is without being on any meds. YMMV but in my case it’s pretty clear that as my weight decreased so did my insulin resistance.

I don’t really recommend diet plans for anyone, because diet plans are “temporary” situations meant to help people reach a “temporary” goal, and really do not teach how to deal with eating, on a day to day basis, confront temptations or manage them, nor does it help you learn how to properly commit to yourself FOR LIFE. The best way to lose weight with Diabetes, is with controlled carbohydrates, and with intuitive eating… There are many, many good books on intuitive eating, these days, and I and others have written some blog posts about it, too. My BIG Diabetes Diet Secret, C’s Life with D is also a good blog – she’s even an Registered Dietitian, and believes as I do, rather than pushing some crazy diet on someone… She recently featured a couple of blogs on Intuitive Eating and some good book recommendations. You should check em out. :slight_smile:

Meg,

You can talk to your Dr about Byetta, it is not insulin and it helps people with type 2 D and weight loss. I’ve been on Byetta for 3 weeks and I already lost 4 lbs when I couldn’t do it at all before. Exercise and low carb diet it’s a key to feel better, drugs help but the hard work comes from ourselves.

Have a great day!

Claumo

Don’t you mean “Type 1” for the autoimmune attacks on the pancreas. Type 2 is genetic and can be triggered off by certain things be it lifestyle, environmental, age, family…Type 1 is autoimmune. (and they are under the believe that even that has a genetic component now)

And I don’t agree with your statement “Diabetes Makes You Fat, Fat Does NOT Make You Diabetic” - and I think most people on this forum will say that as well.

It is not true and if you don’t believe me - go and check out our Thin Type2 group. I was NOT fat when I was dx, never have been fat, I got diabetes and I am super thin now. Too skinny - and I am Type 2 - So “Diabetes Makes You Fat” - hmm, no - that is not right. You do not have to BE fat develop diabetes or BECOME fat to have diabetes. It runs in my family and is genetic and age related.

I am kind of getting sick of hearing all the stuff about fat and diabetes. It gets old. There are lots of people walking around the planet looking like Jabba the Hut - do they have diabetes? No. Why? Because they go lucky? No, they don’t have the genetic componenets in them from birth.

read this article: http://forecast.diabetes.org/magazine/features/why-me-understanding-causes-diabetes

Meg, Depending on where and when the internist last went to a diabetes teaching event, he’s got some wrong information…at least from what we’ve learned here. I’d stick with the endo and your reg. doc…they know you best, and the endo should know diabetes best. How do you feel now that you have been on insulin and met? How are your daily sugar readings? That’s really the test…if you feel better, your readings are better, I’d say you were doing the right thing. I learned that insulin isn’t the end of the line, it may be the beginning or the middle but not necessarily the last ditch effort to control our diabetes. And then again, we are all different…what you do and what I do with this same disease are two different things.

Your question about losing weight is a good one. Can you reverse it? I don’t think so, you’ve lost weight not your pancreas…so yes losing weight will help you out a lot, but not necessarily reverse the diabetes. Diabetics who have had gastric by pass, lost many lbs are still diabetics, it’s just rather in remission or their numbers are better because of the lost poundage. If it were so, then more diabetics would have bypass, loose their weight and be cured. Weight loss is a good thing, do it, but it won’t reverse or make the diabetes go away. I’ve lost 56 lbs to date, and yes it has helped. I hate the idea of losing another 50, too, but if it means I get to live a better life for the next 30 years, I’ll work at it. I’m 58 right now…I want to live to be an cranky old woman. I’ve got the cranky down pat.

INHO, dump the internist or get another one…this one is definitely not up on the subject.

Im not sure that I agree with this statement “There is nothing anybody can do that will reverse the damage done to the heart, arteries, eyes, teeth, kidneys etc when a person does change there lifestyle for the better.” Full reversal of kidney failure maybe not, but reversal of mild onset of some complications such as neuropathy can be expected with very tight control from my understanding.

According to this doctor he doesn’t believe it runs in the family. Also if it does run in the family you can avoid getting it by staying thin & exercise. Agian I think thats true to an extent. I think that if it runs in your family than you might get it even if you live a completly healthy lifestyle. You might just get it later in life.

Seriously. This doctor infuriated me with his smug additude towards it all.

I’d like to add that the endo put me on a strict course of insulin, diet & oral meds because my husband & I would like another baby. Not sure if I mentioned that before. I also said this to the internest & he said well thats all well & good but you still need to loose weight.

My husband believes he doesn’t like fat people. lol He might be right.

Well, at least obesity is treatable… however, his stupidity is not. :confused:

I’ve lost 56 lbs to date, and yes it has helped. I hate the idea of losing another 50, too, but if it means I get to live a better life for the next 30 years, I’ll work at it. I’m 58 right now…I want to live to be an cranky old woman. I’ve got the cranky down pat.

Thats awesome and hilarious Cathy!

@Meg, you pay / retain his services. If hes an idiot, replace him!

Boy, your doctor should meet me! :slight_smile:

Also, think about all the little kids that are now developing Type 2 D, these kids are mostly quite chunky and eat lots of crappy, sugar stuff and sit on their butts playing Xbox (or whatever gaming system is popular now). They don’t go out and exercise or anything. Type 2 USED to be something that only adults get. From what I read, people who develop Type 2 (at whatever point in their lives) have had the genetics inside of them since birth. Now, there are lots of different combos on the genetics that can be possible apparently (I am not a geneticist so I am not going to even touch that). But that it is situation, lifestyle and other factors that MAY trigger this off.

Good example is the little kiddies that are now getting it. All that fat and no exercise - well, their bodies are pushed into a diabetic state (for lack of a better word) early than they might have been (or even maybe they would have never been). For these people, THIS is the trigger that starts it. For me, it is age. I am 40. Everyone who has type 2 in my family was dx’d around 40. On my mom sides of the family, it is us shorter women who have it. (the rest of the women in my family are tall) - it could just be that I got the right (or should I say wrong) gene combo that could be trigger off by age.

A friend of mine who is doctor and who knows me and has worked with tons of diabetics says that there might have been nothing I could have done to avoided this. I am already thin. So what did I do wrong? I have no idea.

The article I posted just really skimms the surface of what they are finding out about this disease and what causes it. I think that to keep a narrow minded view (like your doctor does) will only hamper efforts to figure out the myriad of combinations of things that can trigger diabetes in one’s body. Once people can get past this, and be open to other possiblitites than I think that leads the way to be closer to a cure.

Is this a younger or older doctor you have? The doctor that dx’d me - was completely baffled but he didn’t take any guess of to what caused it. My second doctor did. I told him the family history and, of course, he could tell by looking at me that I am already a toothpick! .:slight_smile: Even though I argued, “What about my flab on my tummy?” - he said “No, this is genetic.”

too bad genetic testing can’t be done on everyone who gets diagnosed - I think it would be so helpful in figureing out the different factors of cause for everyone.