If money and insurance didn't matter which pump would you pick?

have you tried it yet
they have a try before you buy on the cgm.

I tried both and it was hands down Dexcom with the Animas. The MM was painful,alarm crazy, difficult to use and not near as accurate - the other item I disliked was the screen resolution - but with you being younger that may not matter. I really wanted the MM because it was integrated, but I am getting used to one extra piece of hardware!

jesus h. I just read some of the stuff upthread, and now am scared I made the wrong choice.

You probably don’t need to worry. Seems like most people like their pump and wouldn’t change including those on the MM. Sounds like we will like ANY pump.

yes you might like it - But this is going to be your full time buddy!! Would you buy a car without driving it?

My comment was only to get a trial before committing. In particular the CGM has greatly varying satisfaction - A puimp is a pump for the most part; they all have their quirks - but the CGM systems are vastly different and is really worth a trial! I did the trial and it changed my mind. I really wanted the integrated MM system but it is more important that the system be accurate and functional than integrated. If I only read the tech specs and made my mind up I would be sorry. Fortunately I was able to trial both and make a more educated decision.

Personally I chose the Animas Ping for a number of reasons, including:

• Size of the Infusion Set, and the number of options available.
  • Completely Waterproof (and guaranteed to be such).
  • Ping Remote
  • Colour, easy to read screen. (Now also on the remote!)
  • Free Vacation Loaner pumps for when you travel.
  • Of course, the option to choose a colour that suits your personality/lifestyle was nice. Wearing something 24/7/365 its nice to have a selection of colours.

Here are some other things to consider as well:

• I’ve never had an issue with their customer service; its always been exceptional, and anything you need is received the next day - even if it was ordered at 5:30 pm at night.
  • Their representatives are very informed and up to speed with their devices, and are very helpful with getting you all setup.
  • Its been rumoured that the Dexcom CGMS is coming to the Ping for awihle now, so hopefully it’ll come sooner rather than later.
  • The OneTouch Ping uses the same test strips as the UltraMini, UltraSmart, etc. So you only have to carry one set of test strips for both your primary and backup meter!

As far as the tubing goes - its really not a hassle once you get used to it. I wear mine on my belt, and the tubing is always tucked under my clothing. You wouldn’t even know I was wearing it unless you saw me using it. Personally I like the slim profile of the infusion sets as there is little to no bulge under your clothing. Plus the option to be able to use the pump without another device when you’re out and about is a huge convenience. You won’t realize how nice being able to bolus from the pump is until the first time you’re out and about, see a tasty treat, and realize that you left your meter in the car. :wink:

Nicely written but obviously from Canada! We yanks are jealously waiting on the color remote (I hear its almost as nice as the Canadian Colour remote eh?)

You are correct my friend, I’m definately Canadian. I’ll put up a post with some pictures of the new remote when I receive it this afternoon. I was able to get mine swapped out. :slight_smile:

I forgot to mention something about showering/swimming with the pump as this seems to be a common question - with any pump you can disconnect for up to an hour so showering/swimming is a breeze. Simply detach the pump at the infusion site and away you go. That way when you’re showering you don’t have to worry about finding a way to hold your pump when you have nothing to attach it to! :wink:

Swimming is a breeze with the Animas as its guaranteed to be waterproof. Just check it regularly to make sure that there are no cracks or breaks in the seal and you’re pretty much good to go. I’ve been swimming a number of times in fresh water (lake), swimming pools, and even the ocean when I was in Cuba a few months ago! Didn’t have any issues with the pump whatsoever.

The one time I noticed the rubber peeling back around the buttons on the pump itself, all I had to do was call Animas and I had a replacement next day. They even let me change the colour of the pump from Silver to Blue when I had to get the replacement!

Congrats!! Did they exchange it for free or was there a cost to upgrade? Our FDA is ridiculous - need approval to change a screenon a pump accesory - must be job security for the beauracrats!!

There’s usually a cost associated with the upgrade, I think $160 (used to be $250 if I recall correctly). I was fortunate enough to have made a prior arrangement with one of their representatives to have it replaced once the new unit came out - typically something that isn’t offered, but I lucked out.

I’m not sure if it was just the screen they upgraded, or whether they upgraded some of the other components in the remote as well. I’ve seen comments about how the unit actually runs quicker (which would be a huge plus!). If that’s the case then they would have to go through the entire FDA approval process again, which might take awhile. Hopefully it makes it through soon though.

The ping is the cats meow right now from what I can tell. The Omnipod is a great device, but you have to be willing to have the pod on you, with the ping, you have to be willing to be connected with the tubes.

The MM is a strong and stable device, but I think they are just resting on their laurels right now. The last update wasnt extremely impressive from the model previous. They are still using a two tone display, which is a big turn off for me. That said, it is a strong device with good customer service.

Personally, Im a MM user, but waiting for a sign to switch to a Ping, Pod, or whatever else.

I just received my Ping. I have not been able to start using it yet because I have not been trained on it.

One of the reasons I chose it is because I have a wider variety of infusion sets to choose from. Ping does not use proprietary infusion sets like Medtronic.

I know I’m jealous as well :)…I want the color remote.

Read the book its easy. Have you pumped before? My training was 5 days after receipt so I actually knew what questions to ask because I was already using it

You could always put a battery in it and play around with it a bit while its not attached to anything, that way you can get a feel for what it is like and prepare a good set of questions to take with you to the training. The book, while big, is going to be your best resource outside of actually using it as there is nothing quite like learning by actually using the device.

If you’ve never pumped before, put the belt clip on the pump and wear it around the house (or if you would prefer to keep it in your pocket, do that instead) - that way you can see what wearing the pump is going to be like. :slight_smile:

If yiou put in a battery, also fake it out with a cartridge (empty one is ok) or it will beeb non stop!

FWIW, my OmniPod rep said that he “would guess” that it will be over a year for them to integrate the Dexcom with the Opod. He also said that by nature, the Opod is easier to upgrade b/c it’s just a hand held device with pods, not the entire pump. He thought it would be a <$150 upgrade. I cannot speak to the validity of his statement, but it helped me make my choice :slight_smile:

Ditto!

per the dexcom ceo, the Animas integration is in the FDA pipeline with probable european approval ahead of USA. He indicated that it would probably be 4th quarter 2011 or 1st quarter 2012. He seemed to indicate that the OmniPod was further out as thet need to makje a decision as to use either the level 3 sensor or do a more major upgrade to the level 4 sensor and that decision has nor been made yet. Good news is they are both ib the pipeline, but it looks like Animas will be first. Animas upgrade program allows upgrades to new pumps at 299. This is what they told me when we ordered our pumps at end of 2010

i’m in - how much will this cost me!!!